Seattle Aquarium (heavy on the pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't know how off topic this is, since it does relate to fish...

I just visited my BF up in Seattle last weekend as he's finishing a job up there. He took me to the Seattle Aquarium because, well, he knows me all too well :) Most of the pics I took were of the aquarium and I had to delete other pics because I ran out of room (just stuff like the Space Needle. Nothing important).
The entire aquarium is saltwater, and to my knowledge almost all of the species are from the Puget Sound (but I'm no saltie). They are very pround of the Sound up there. I think they just went fishing off one of the piers, lol.
It's a fairly small aquarium, but I've got the Georgia Aquarium here, so I'm a bit spoiled. They've got quite a few birds and mammals, though I didn't get pics of them since they're not my thing. They've got plans to expand, and I'm sure the new addition will be worth seeing.

pier.jpg

The aquarium (white fronted building) sits on a pier.

dome2.jpg

dome1.jpg

The main attraction is a large sw dome.

dome3.jpg

diver.jpg

We came at feeding time! The divers fed krill and squid. They stuffed food directly into the wolf eel's mouth (below).

wolfeel.jpg

It was probably about 5 feet long.

outsidefish.jpg

I don't know what these are. Probably feeders for the rescued waterfowl in the exhibit. But I liked them and the lighting was nice.

reef.jpg

reef2.jpg

reef3.jpg

Reefs. Nothing annoys me more than hearing, "It's Nemo!"

starfish2.jpg
starfish3.jpg

Starfish! You could pet these. They had another exhibit where you could watch GIANT starfish eat mussels.

anenome.jpg

This was also in the petting tank! The curator said you'd get real itchy if you pet it. I thought about it.

salmon.jpg

Salmon are big there. These babies were in the aquarium, but about a half hour away you could watch wild salmon swimming upstream from an underground viewing window. No pics of that though.

skyfish.jpg

I think these are also salmon. I'd like a skylight like this in my house.

jellies.jpg

Me with the jellyfish exhibit.
jellies2.jpg

My BF. You can see the exhibit better. IT'S A JELLY DONUT! Hahaha!!

monkfish.jpg

Monkfish at the public market. They had it rigged up like a puppet and would make it snap if you leaned in to look at it.

clam.jpg

It must be an introduced species.

Pretty impressive! Thanks for sharing. One of these days, I'll the the Baltimore Aquariuma and get some pics....

Toirtis, yup! I got to watch them toss fish around and everything. I really preferred the flowers at the market though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom