Second Hand Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zinthos26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my friend no longer wanted her fish tank and offered it to me which is great because I've been really interested in starting this new hobby! Problem is it's been in her basement for a while so there's mold on it. I know you're not suppose to use soap so how should I clean this? There's mold on the hood and the filter too.

Water, razor blade, and white vinegar if needed. Rinse well when you're done.

You know if it was me and many may argue this but for mold I would use a mild bleach solution. Let it soak for a couple hours or so and then rinse really well. Let it dry completely for a couple of days. Then rinse really well again. Use a razor blade if needed but after that a wash clothe should be able to wipe off the any thing thats left.

I'd use diluted bleach and tons of rinsing, too. Bleach will kill mold on nonporous surfaces and help lighten any stains from it. Now, if there is a moldy press board stand, I'd trash it and get a new one. But moldy solid wood is worth saving.

I'll have to agree with others, I NEVER would use bleach for cleaning a tank, but if there's mold then I'd suggest it. Another alternative is Hydrogen Peroxide, breaks down to water/oxygen.

I'll have to agree with others, I NEVER would use bleach for cleaning a tank, but if there's mold then I'd suggest it. Another alternative is Hydrogen Peroxide, breaks down to water/oxygen.

Why not? Bleach is a 100% safe for cleaning aquarium equipment. It breaks down very quickly when exposed to the environment (especially light) and becomes non toxic at that point. That's the reason you never ever see bleach in clear bottles.

Bleach won't make a tank toxic. But, it is a strong base (pH of 12) so you don't want to leave any behind. Vinegar is acidic (pH 2.5ish) so you can be extra safe and follow bleaching with vinegar to neutralize. Again, rinse, rinse, rinse.

I know bleach isn't toxic, but people who hasn't used it always has the fear of lingering leftovers (including myself), which is why I prefer hydrogen peroxide. Vinegar will help, but I'd also put a primer into the tank right after the bleach cleaning to help kill off residue.

Why not? Bleach is a 100% safe for cleaning aquarium equipment. It breaks down very quickly when exposed to the environment (especially light) and becomes non toxic at that point. That's the reason you never ever see bleach in clear bottles.

Is the reason I mentioned letting it dry completely tho I did forget to mention outside as the sunlight will help break it down faster (thanks for reminding me of that point.) I have gotten some really nasty used tanks that I have cleaned up nicely this way and never had an issue.

Back
Top Bottom