seeding new aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

farmgirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey y'all,
I'm setting up a 5 gallon for my daughters betta, apple snail, and 5 ghost shrimp. 1st question, is this big enough?? Now, on my 90, I run a magnum 350 and a penguin 350, (w/ 2 wheels and 2 media slots).
I took some filter media from the penguin and stuck it in the little tiny filter loooking thing (lol) on this little 5 gal bowfront from walmart. Then I took the filter pouch from the 5 gal, and stuck it in the penguin slot.
Right now the readings in the 5 are nh3-0 no2-0 no3-5. Question #2
how long should I leave the pouch in the big tank to get bacteria growing on it, and question #3, how much quicker will this be than going through a full cycle in the little tank. TIA, Farmgirl.

You should leave the pouch in the tank for 1-2 weeks. On a tank that small it should give you little if no cycle. Another thing you can do since the filter is so small is take some substrate from the big tank, put it in a mesh bag or clean unused pantyhose and put it in the small tank.

The apple snail may grow too large for the tank depending on the snail. Some apple snails can grow quite large. Otherwise you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom