Serious issues with my westeria....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miyavp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have three very tiny westeria plants in my five gal. I say their tiny because they were in my goldfish tank who ate their roots off..... now there in with my betta and there not doing well. I bought api root tabs to try and help them grow back. I bought a new lightbulb even better gravel. They seem to be growing a little better but what can I do about all this algae growing onto their leaves? It seems to be devouring the new leaves just as fast as it can grow them. Also now due to this lightbulb my tank is growing algae like a monster. Help :( i just want healthier water for my poor betta. I've put him through alot.

How long are you leaving your lights on daily. Go down to 6 hours to help get algae under control. What are your tank readings? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? Also can you post a pic of the algae so we can see what type you have. Might be able to make more suggestions knowing what type algae it is. What type lighting did you change to?

Ummm..let me check walmarts website it the plant bulb they carried. I'll do reading and photos when I'm home.

AM:0PPM
NI:0PPM
NA:5PPM
I didnt test ph do you want that? Testing two tanks right now.

There not the greatest photos sorry :( hard to get pictures through all that algae.

ForumRunner_20121226_144358.jpg

ForumRunner_20121226_144407.jpg

Those are diatoms, the feed off of silicates found in new tanks, either just wait them out or you can get some phos-aid or phos-sorb, any phosphate remover works. It won't work miraculously fast but should make a big difference in a week and cutting back your lights won't help it

As long as they dont kill my plants I think I'll wait them out. Will adding api leaf zone make them worse? And how long will it take? My last westeria in my goldfish tank still has this nasty stuff also. They havent uprooted that one.

I hear snails can help, I wouldn't know, they creep me out haha. Ottos are supposed to be diatom eating machines, but then after its gone you have to supplement their diet. I don't think leaf zone will effect them but I'm not sure, they don't live of what normal algae does though. When I had them I still used all my ferts like normal

I hear snails can help, I wouldn't know, they creep me out haha. Ottos are supposed to be diatom eating machines, but then after its gone you have to supplement their diet. I don't think leaf zone will effect them but I'm not sure, they don't live of what normal algae does though. When I had them I still used all my ferts like normal

Ottos? Are those safe to keep with bettas?

I'm not sure actually, I'd bet they'd be okay with some bettas, but the only betta I've had and have still can't be put with anything, he's a punk haha

Actually light does encourage diatom growth so cutting down your photoperiod to 6 hours a day will help. Can you just rub the algae off with your fingers easily?

If you get 1 or 2 nerite snails they are good to keep with a betta. They can't reproduce in freshwater, won't add to your bio-load, and they eat the biggest variety of algae of any algae eater (bio-film, diatoms, green dust algae, and green spot algae).

Actually light does encourage diatom growth so cutting down your photoperiod to 6 hours a day will help. Can you just rub the algae off with your fingers easily?

If you get 1 or 2 nerite snails they are good to keep with a betta. They can't reproduce in freshwater, won't add to your bio-load, and they eat the biggest variety of algae of any algae eater (bio-film, diatoms, green dust algae, and green spot algae).

That sounds perfect :) i'll do that thank you :)

This is a normal thing that young tanks go through. I wouldn't stock anything else until the tank stabilizes and the diatoms go away on their own (could take weeks to a month).

Also, no one asked how big this tank was? I definitely wouldn't put anything with a spine in with a betta in a <10g tank.

This is a normal thing that young tanks go through. I wouldn't stock anything else until the tank stabilizes and the diatoms go away on their own (could take weeks to a month).

Also, no one asked how big this tank was? I definitely wouldn't put anything with a spine in with a betta in a <10g tank.

Its a 5gal. With a spine meaning? Otos? I was gonna get snails.

Its a 5gal. With a spine meaning? Otos? I was gonna get snails.

He means that no other fish should go in that small of a tank with a betta, invertebrates means something without vertebrae, or spine, so he's saying you could keep a snail. I agree with home though, definitely no ottos or other fish in that small of a tank.

He means that no other fish should go in that small of a tank with a betta, invertebrates means something without vertebrae, or spine, so he's saying you could keep a snail. I agree with home though, definitely no ottos or other fish in that small of a tank.

Petco didnt have nerite snails. Do you know if petsmart carrys them? I really dont want apple snails

Back
Top Bottom