serious tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i wouldn't risk it. thats a large investment and should the floor fail, even bend slightly, the whole tank could topple.

I have a 125 gal reef tank with LS 100lbs LR a 40 gal long sump and I do 35 gal water changes on the second floor in my house. So far I have no problems (knock on wood) it is a new house (built in 2001) and I just have the perfect room up there for it. I just advised my Insurance co. to make sure I would be covered. So far all I have messed up was I forgot to turn off the RO faucet when I was filling the barrel for a water change one day and I left the house. It overflowed and leaked down to the basement. Now I have a water spot about 12 inches in my first floor hall ceiling. My wife was not too happy, but she's the one that wanted it upstairs.

i'm hearing the same from other forums. right up to the 150gl level.

i'm going to give him a call later today, i think he has a contractor coming out either today or tomorrow.

The aquarium with water in it would weigh about 1750 pounds. If you figure extra water, a person, rock equipment, base et al you could figure about 3000 pounds. Take the footprint of the aquarium, and you get about 250 pounds per square foot. Typical houses are built for a 45 pounds per square foot live load. Depending on if the joists were running perpendicular or parallel to the aquarium it might be ok. Not knowing the location or joist alignment though still makes it close. Think about is as per a large book case or a water bed.

I would think a floor could hold it. I know lots of people that are a bit more than 250 pounds per square foot :D. Maybe you could get a 6 or 7 of them to stand in a 6'x2'x2' foot area for a couple days for a structural test.... :lol:

thanks for the tips...

i forwarded them all to him. he has a contractor coming out tomorrow to give him an opinion. he has to get everything moved quick cause he has to be out by next monday. i'm helping him move this weekend....

Back
Top Bottom