serpea vs red phantom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vero

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is also posted on the getting started....

From animal-world web site: Serpea Terta (or Red Minor or Hyphessobrycon serpae)
Phantom Terta (or Megalamphodus megalopterus the black one and Megalamphodus sweglesi the red one)

How can I see the difference between the serpae tetra and the red phantom tetra. My lfs sells both (the serpea as Hyphessobrycon bentosi and the red phantom as Hyphessobrycon sweglesi?). They look the same to me. It'd rather have the red phantom as the serpae are said to be more agressive (fin nippers - I have guppies) and the phantom are less touchy when it comes to pH. My pH is on the basic side, around 8.

Thanks

Actually, I've read that red phantoms are more touchy with water conditions. They need cooler water (68-75F), and more frequent water changes but yes, they are more peaceful. Also, they prefer soft, slightly acidic water.
Black phantoms are more hardy and good with the 75-82F range.

Ah yes... I recall seeing that on a post not so long ago about the red phantom being a hardier fish than the red phantom. It's always weird to find such conflicting data.

Also, I read that the black phantom's female is redish. I wonder if the red phantom isn't actually a different variaty, just the same same fish with different coloring for the male and female. So I could go for that: black phantom females (would they be happy in an all female group of 6?).

That still doesn't tell me how to differentate the phantom from teh serpea. They frankly look like the safe fish to me!

Thanks for your answer

serpae tetras' fins look more "ragged" at the tips--that's how i distinguish them. i have red phantoms and they have really turned in to beautiful fish. they deepen in color as they mature, and are super bright in good water conditions. they are definitely different from black phantoms which seem to have longer dorsal fins. the colors are nowhere near comparable between red and black phantoms. you should expect the red phantoms to become really red.

you can see my gallery for a photo of one of mine (sorry it's so blurry).

Thanks crazycat for the picture. I find that the red phantom is definitly more bright red than the serpea. It also seems to me that the serpea's dorsal fin is black, whereas the red phantom is red allover (except for the black spot on the side). Is that correct?

vero said:
Also, I read that the black phantom's female is redish. I wonder if the red phantom isn't actually a different variaty, just the same same fish with different coloring for the male and female. So I could go for that: black phantom females (would they be happy in an all female group of 6?).
Black phantom females only really have red fins (not dorsal and caudal though). Female: http://www.akwafoto.pl/fotoreport/zabrze2002/kasaczowate/megalamphodus_megalopterus2.jpg
Male: http://tropicalfishgallery.com/species-gallery/species-images/tetra-pictures/black phantom tetra.jpg
The red phantom is not just a color variety of the black.
6 females would be fine, keeping multiple males could be a problem though I've heard. :wink:

some of my red phantoms have black spots topped with a thin white line on their dorsal fins in addition to the black spot on their sides. i think this coloration may differentiate males from females. i believe i have several males, and they all seem to get along very well. i've observed no fighting or aggression. i now have a total of 9 in my tank.

hth!

Back
Top Bottom