Set up my 29g or go bigger?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stretch

Aquarium Advice Activist
I moved to my new place about 2 weeks ago and I want to set up my tank. I'm not sure if I want to stay with my current 29g or move up to something around 55g. I've got about 6 feet of length that I would like to stay within.

I've never had a planted tank before, and I do want something with more capacity (but who doesn't?). I would also like to get away from the bio-wheel filtration and switch to something canister. In terms of fish, there really isn't anything I want that won't fit in the 29g just fine.

I guess the only thing holding me back is the cost of purchasing a larger tank and filter setup, on top of the fish, plants, substrate and everything else. Maybe I'll set up my 29g for now and then add a 55g later, that way I can have both?

How limited will I be in terms of lighting and plant options with a 29g tank? Am I just thinking about this too much?

Thanks for the help!

Jason

EDIT: I don't want to do pressurized CO2, so I think I'll need low to mid light...right?

I have a 29 gal, planted, with no CO2 and 1 65-watt CF bulb. I've looked for lesser bulbs and have had no luck. I have two algae eaters that keep my tank pretty clear (although there is some here and there). I dose with Flourish every 3 days or so and have seen a plant explosion in my tank. 29 is not too small for planted, and it can be done with no CO2 and very little algae. I have regular pebble-sized mixed brown gravel as well.

I love it compared to the plastic I had before. There is really no comparison.

Hope this helps.

For a 29 gal, a cannister isn't really needed. In my experience my emperror 400 works excellent on my 48 gal cichlid tank.

Im not experienced with plants so cant help u there.

I'd go with a bigger tank myself. Im really smacking myself in the head that I didnt go for at least a 75 gal when i upgraded from my 10 gal. I have a bad feeling If i don't get a 200 gal as my next tank, for the next 10 yaers of my life ill be constanlty upgrading :D . Thats me though but i do know others seem to have from what i hear is called MTS. I think i could susceptible to this disease :lol: .

29 gals a good medium size though, myself i'd like to have one in addition to my 48 and 10.

Big Ben said:
For a 29 gal, a cannister isn't really needed. In my experience my emperror 400 works excellent on my 48 gal cichlid tank.

Sorry, I meant to say I want canister filtration for a larger tank, if I do get one.

Thanks for the reply.

I decided to go ahead and set up the 29g. It will give me time to save up for what I really want, and I can cycle the new tank easier using media from the 29g. Thanks for the advice, yall.

Back
Top Bottom