Setting up a 20 gallon / will be a cycle log!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good deal. The reason I feel it's important to mention is because one of the benefits of fishless cycling is the ability to fully stock your tank immediately after it's cycled using pure ammonia. In other words, the day after your cycle completes you can go out and buy every single fish you plan on permanently keeping in your aquarium...and add them in all at once. If you did that here, and the other bacteria decided to quit on you...you're gonna have one heck of a toxin spike and basically be doing a fish-in cycle with lots of fish pumping out ammonia. That's why stocking lightly and slowly is a good idea here even though it's technically a fishless cycle.

Again, I'm not saying it always happens...but in my experience I have seen it happen many, many times and I don't want you in a tough spot if you happen to be one of the unfortunate ones.

What happens to most people when they use stability and their tank appears cycled? Do most people just fully stock their tanks and how ever many days/weeks later theres nitrite spikes or something?

brittanykluss said:
What happens to most people when they use stability and their tank appears cycled? Do most people just fully stock their tanks and how ever many days/weeks later theres nitrite spikes or something?

It's not that most people fully stock their tank at once...that's just the worst case scenario I'm trying to avoid for you. What you see happen a lot of times (with lots of different products, not just Stability) is that everything looks perfect, the tank cycles in record time, you add fish, your parameters look rock solid, then one day (weeks or even a couple months later) you test the water and see toxins, and basically it's like you have an uncycled tank. People end up having to do water changes constantly and basically doing a fish-in cycle until everything stabilizes out. How heavily the tank is stocked basically decides how long that takes.

It happened to a really good friend of mine on this site (he can tell you all about it). He did a fishless cycle with a bacteria booster like Stability, everything was perfect. Then one day about a month and a half later he woke up to a few dead Danios. When he broke out his test kit he had ammonia and nitrIte levels like the tank had never been cycled. He ended up doing water changes every day until I sent him a bunch of my established media which knocked it out for him and stabilized the tank.

In your other thread (I really, really don't want to get in depth and argue about this again)...but one of the links a supporter of Stability provided (the patent sheet) basically said clear as day that Stability doesn't establish your bio-filter...what it does is keep toxins down while your bio-filter establishes itself, on it's own, separately. That perfectly explains why a tank can appear cycled, only to crash on you once the Stability stops being added, or the "substitute" bacteria changes roles or begins dying off.

It's not that most people fully stock their tank at once...that's just the worst case scenario I'm trying to avoid for you. What you see happen a lot of times (with lots of different products, not just Stability) is that everything looks perfect, the tank cycles in record time, you add fish, your parameters look rock solid, then one day (weeks or even a couple months later) you test the water and see toxins, and basically it's like you have an uncycled tank. People end up having to do water changes constantly and basically doing a fish-in cycle until everything stabilizes out. How heavily the tank is stocked basically decides how long that takes.

It happened to a really good friend of mine on this site (he can tell you all about it). He did a fishless cycle with a bacteria booster like Stability, everything was perfect. Then one day about a month and a half later he woke up to a few dead Danios. When he broke out his test kit he had ammonia and nitrIte levels like the tank had never been cycled. He ended up doing water changes every day until I sent him a bunch of my established media which knocked it out for him and stabilized the tank.

In your other thread (I really, really don't want to get in depth and argue about this again)...but one of the links a supporter of Stability provided (the patent sheet) basically said clear as day that Stability doesn't establish your bio-filter...what it does is keep toxins down while your bio-filter establishes itself, on it's own, separately. That perfectly explains why a tank can appear cycled, only to crash on you once the Stability stops being added, or the "substitute" bacteria changes roles or begins dying off.

Thank you very much I appreciate your reply! I will be keeping my eye out for this! Hopefully ill be lucky :D. I appreciate it though and I will take your advice in not fully stocking right when the tank appears to be cycled

ammo 2
nitri 5
nitra 40
10h6lbc.jpg

once nitrites nitrates spike I do a 50% pwc right ?

Not with a fishless cycle, typically. You can, but it's not necessary usually. If nitrite stays high for quite a while, you can do one or two to lower it, but since yours just started spiking a few days ago I wouldn't worry yet. Same with nitrate (mine was at least 160 for a while and it didn't harm my cycle). I'd say sit tight, keep posting daily results, redose ammonia as needed when it gets <.5 or 1 (redose only once in 24 hours though) and let's see what happens.

todays results

ammo: 1 ppm
nitra: somewhere between 80-160... it could honestly be 160 or more.. hard to tell it was very very red.
nitri: 5 or more. very very purple

Today... ammonia is at .50.. its going down like .5-1 over night i'd say....
hurry up ammonia!!!

2ezlrf6.jpg

FINALLY SOMETHING!

did a 50% pwc 2 days ago my results were
ammo 1
nitrite & nitrate off the charts

today
ammo 0
nitrite and nitrate still off chart!

now what? i dosed it to 1 ppm

Keep re-dosing every 24 hours. It's normal for nitrites to shoot back up. They'll come down to 0 on their own eventually; you should be halfway there if not more. Why are you only dosing to 1? Sorry if I missed something.

Keep re-dosing every 24 hours. It's normal for nitrites to shoot back up. They'll come down to 0 on their own eventually; you should be halfway there if not more. Why are you only dosing to 1? Sorry if I missed something.

not sure another forum told me not to dose anymore at all... lol.... i probably did dosed more than one i gotta retest i havent retested since i put the ammonia back in... what should i be putting it at?

not sure another forum told me not to dose anymore at all... lol.... i probably did dosed more than one i gotta retest i havent retested since i put the ammonia back in... what should i be putting it at?

I'd say 3-4 is a decent level if you want to stock right away and have a good number of fish. If you don't dose ammonia, you're not feeding the bacteria and your cycle will stop. If you only dose to 1, you're building bacteria but not as much as you would if you dosed it higher. So I'd shoot for 3-4 and redose to 3-4 any time ammonia drops to .5 or lower.

I'd say 3-4 is a decent level if you want to stock right away and have a good number of fish. If you don't dose ammonia, you're not feeding the bacteria and your cycle will stop. If you only dose to 1, you're building bacteria but not as much as you would if you dosed it higher. So I'd shoot for 3-4 and redose to 3-4 any time ammonia drops to .5 or lower.

Thanks i did it :]

Back
Top Bottom