Setting up a new nanoreef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
+1 on the refractometer, hydrometers can be thrown off by bubbles, and small debris as well as loose accuracy over time. I have spoken with many people who started using a refractometer and realize how inaccurate the hydrometer is and may lead to problems in the long run.

First fill up and verdict is i need more rock.lol

But otherwise looks good. :)

Attachments

• image-1892142973.jpg
    image-1892142973.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 177
It's ok that you don't have enough rock. It gives you a good idea of what you want in your tank. You can visual the shape and size of future rocks. It's better to start with less at first then add instead of trying to cram everything in right away.

That Petco deal rocks :)

It was an amazing deal! Just waiting or the temp to come up and for the salt to dissolve. Out of 25 gallons of distilled water after all the rock and sand I used 24 gallons of water to fill it. Filter is going and just waiting for everything. I added about 13 lbs of dry rock on top of the 7 of live. 30 only 20 lbs of rock so far. Will get more live rock to stack for lil homes for my future reef residents.

Now it's time to find a cover and lighting as well as that circulation pump. Should I get 1 or 2 pumps?

Just the filter thats it at the moment. Can't decide on circulation pumps.

But should I get just one or 2 for my tank? And how should I set them up where abouts on the sides or side? Should I have it constantly on or randomized flow?

I have one in the corner of my tank, it's rated for 500 gph so If I had two would be too much flow. I thought about getting a smaller one for the other side. Set one in each corner to create good flow, but since my tank is 20L it works good with just one and my HOB filter

Decided I get a marineland 900. Installing tonight.

I've been looking at lighting systems narrowed it down to a few small choices.
Aqueon versa top 21.99 no lights

Marineland led hood/light 79.99

Aqueon modular led 62.99

Aqua sun t5ho hood 77.99 no bulbs

Or my favorite http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFgxMDAw/$(KGrHqN,!jUFCYIB+J!jBQ3zBBoJW!~~60_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F 94.95

Around 100 max budget.

None of those lighting fixtures will grow coral if you want them. Fine for FOWLR. I paid 150 for a 120w LED fixture. Waiting for it to come.

I definitely want to grow corals so I need a light system for my tank. It's 30.3 inches across. Any advice or recommendations would be great.

I was recommended to buy taotronics 120w dimmable LED. Amazon wouldn't ship it to me so I bought one off eBay it's identical just a "bridgelux" brand. A lot of good review on this LED. I'm looking forward to getting it.

To start with my cover/ lighting I bought the aqueon versa top glass cover. Just a plain hinged. Glass top. 1st one was broken, brought it back got another, checked glass before I left. It was good but when I brought it home the handle part to attach was broken in half. Just gonna super glue it back together so it will work or get yet another tomorrow.ugh what a pain.

Also picked up a bottle of biospira to put in my tank.

Just to add some type of cover is needed because the air is very dry and evaporation happens fast so I have to try to keep water levels topped off as much as possible and having a cover will help eliminate a good amount of evap.

Should I get a different cover or keep the glass one. I really need some help with the hood/ cover / lighting. I really want to have some corals eventually. Not necessarily hard to keep ones but just some nice looking ones. And I need a cover or hood to help stop evaporation. I need a good combo that I won't need to upgrade. Keeping in mind I can't spend a fortune. Please any advice or direction is greatly appreciated.

I've done a lot of research lately.

Decided to go with a plastic mesh top from a lot of feedback from local reefers. Apparently tops cut down on gas exchange. Which I want as much gas exchange as possible.
Debating on the lights still. It's either the odyssea quad t5ho or some led fixture. Just gotta find something to fit my 29 gallon/ 30.3 in length.

Added more live rock

Attachments

• image-3342703819.jpg
    image-3342703819.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 142
I agree I will buy some more base rock today at the lfs. I think I might have some type if hitchhiker this time. Notices a tiny black dot moving across my sand bed last night at a very slow pace. It was so small that I have no clue what it could be.

Back
Top Bottom