Setting up a new nanoreef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No signs again of the mysterious black dot but I'mpretty sure I saw a pod today.

I got a wicked deal. A protein skimmer rated up to 180 gallons for 25 bucks from someone who is quitting aquariums. Super excited to get such a great deal.

My 1st fish. And stereotypically my wife made me name him nemo.... Lol

Attachments

• image-2593302259.jpg
    image-2593302259.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 106
  • image-914325313.jpg
    image-914325313.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 99
So nemo is acclimating fine to the tank. End of day 2 with him and no problems. Have noticed when my circulating pump is on the temp goes from 80.5 to almost 82. Should I be worried? Still don't have a light yet( so expensive). Will get one soon hopefully. Pretty sure tank is fully cycled everytime I check stats of tank ph is 8-8.2. Ammonia always 0 as well as nitrite. Nitrates are 20 at most. Will redo tests tomorrow to double check. Salinity is about 1.023.
Because I just have the one itty bitty clownfish in my 29 gallon tank how often should I do a pwc?
And how long should I wait before I add another fish?
When should I add a cuc?
What kind of cuc should I get?
I barely have any algae at all. Just a couple small specs of coralline purple algae on a live rock I got. Is there anything I can add to help produce the good stuff?
The circulation pump is very strong for my little clownfish, or so it seems.... Should I keep it on all the time, part of the time, how long, or downgrade to smaller pump and how long for that? I have a marineland 900 currently. Thanks for the advice.?

I thought I might have too much circulation for my clown but he stays away from the pump most of the time. He hangs out where there is less current and seems to be fine. My pump is rated 500gph in a 20g long tank

Just got the start of my cuc. Got 2 electric blue hermit crabs. So pretty. Since I found a baby snail maybe today I figured there are probably more snails. If it is a snail.?.?. Lol

Attachments

• image-3059289590.jpg
    image-3059289590.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 130
  • image-3609983749.jpg
    image-3609983749.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 145
Just got the start of my cuc. Got 2 electric blue hermit crabs. So pretty. Since I found a baby snail maybe today I figured there are probably more snails. If it is a snail.?.?. Lol

Looks like maybe a baby stomatella, but hard to tell from the pic. If so, good CUC member. :)

So it's been a bit since my last post got some new critters for the tank. Big turbo snail, peppermint shrimp and a shrimp goby. Goby is hiding now but I managed to snap a quick pic after I put him in the tank. Getting a light soon. Either a dimmable taitronics or same thing different brand.

Attachments

• image-2467249121.jpg
    image-2467249121.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 127
  • image-1269639034.jpg
    image-1269639034.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 127
  • image-3370238953.jpg
    image-3370238953.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 131
Just did some research and I didn't get a shrimp goby apparently. It's a tiger watchman goby.

Will grab good camera and snap some shots tonight. Found my crazy goby. While I was at work he made a system of tunnels under my rocks from one set of rocks to another. He's been a busy burrower.

So a few things have happened since last post. Goober the goby commited suicide and jumped.... Got a versa glass top after to prevent it from ever happening again. Got depressed from him dying so I just got a couple new tank mates. Got a emerald crab, scooter blenny, and a mandarin goby. So beautiful.

Attachments

• image-849452855.jpg
    image-849452855.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 130
  • image-2008658297.jpg
    image-2008658297.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 116
  • image-3612930185.jpg
    image-3612930185.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 117
Full tank pic

Attachments

• image-2758152379.jpg
    image-2758152379.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 142
So here's my current livestock

Ocellaris clown
Peppermint shrimp
Emerald crab
Turbo snail
2 electric blue hermit crabs
Scooter blenny
Mandarin goby

Other than 1 more clown to try to get a mating pair. What else would or could I put in?

29 gallon tank

I'm going to be having pretty much the same! Show a pic of your full tank with your livestock

Are you feeding the mandarin and scooter blenny brine?
and are they eating it?
Those are both fish who notoriously are hard to feed and I know they can be trained to brine.
I had a scooter blenny, he survived for about a year on brine, then stopped eating and died.

I have gotten Copepods to supplement feeding them but yes they are eating brine.

Then that's awesome, keep an eye on them though, and be careful about adding stock, they can be outcompted easily, they're very clumsy little buggers lol.

I don't plan on adding anything other than more Copepoda for awhile. Maybe some more cuc crabs snails ect. Just finishing getting my skimmer up an running and upgrading my lighting system. Then maybe 1 more occ clown. Then I plan on stopping buying fish and adding corals.

Finally petco is having their dollar per gallon sale again and I'm thinking ill upgrade to a 40b

Some say adding a second of the same species (clownfish) could be trouble. An upgrade to a larger tank is a pretty good idea.

Back
Top Bottom