Setting up a new tank please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruedy077

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I recently purchased a 55 gallon tank off of craigslist rinsed it out with warm water and am eager to set it up. I have a sarasa comet currently in a 10 gallon tank for the last month and want to set this up so he has some more room. I bought 2 aqueon quit flow 30 filters and was wondering if i needed anymore filtration for the tank. was planning on putting an air pump in as well. Any other advice for quick cycling and or filtration would be very much appreciated :)

Quickly cycling, if you have any media you can steal from your other tank that will definatley help even the gravel from the tank can help you it also holds bacteria not much but it's in there, your 2 filters I'd say is adequate just keep in mind your using 2 that are needed to cover the tank if 1 goes down your gonna be in an pickle till you get it fixed or replaced.

I could buy a third in case one of them does go down then i could potentially just swap the filter media between the two would that be an okay thing to do?

A canister filter might be a better bet for a tank of that size with a goldfish. Just move all of the media from the 10 gal's filter into the new filter and then fill the rest up with new media. Test the water daily in case there are any temporary spikes and do extra water changes as needed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom