Setting up a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yahooandgoogle

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I have just recently set up a new tank. I am currently cycling it doing a fish less cycle. The filter is running and I have added the gravel decorations and stress coat as well as a bolus (bacteria). I have also added some gravel from my tank in an stocking to help the cycling. It has been running for nearly a week now. I have 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate. I know that the ammonia has to go high then the nitrite then it eventually turns to nitrate. I don't want to rush the cycling process but usually now long does it take to fully establish? I don't want to add my fish until I'm sure it's fully cycled. Any advice would be appreciated. The tank is a 90 which will house two large fancy fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Have you added a source of ammonia?

If you have seeded filter media you shouldn't even need to do a fishless cycle. Just add a few fish to start with. The bacteria is already in the filter media.

Hello thanks for replying? No I haven't added an ammonia? What kind should I add?

Most lfs will give you a little piece of their seeded filter material that will kick start your cycle

I've never done a fishless cycle myself, just started tanks up slow with seeded filter media. But I hear people will use a frozen shrimp, or pure ammonia with no additives.

If there is no ammonia, there will be nothing to start up the cycle. So your tank will just be sitting there, and any beneficial bacteria you've added will die off.

If I were you, I'd just move some filter media from an established tank to your filter, then add just a few fish (maybe even just one, depends on your tank size). Stock very gradually, keep testing for ammonia. and there should be no problems.

We use the shrimp method all the time in sw. Didn't even think about it for fw, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Get a thawed table shrimp, put it in a mesh bag if some sort (filter media bags work well or pantyhose also work great) and throw it in the tank and let it rot and it will produce ammonia to start your bb population.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have got some gravel from my tank my fish are in now. But will do what you have said thanks heaps

Back
Top Bottom