Setting up a new (used) tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RabidChild

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I finally found a good deal on a used tank and jumped on it. Now I just have to figure out what to do next.

It's a 90 gallon glass tank with a stand, and a Marineland 350 canister filter, 250 watt heater (glass, it will be replaced eventually), a couple buckets of gravel, and a bunch of misc other stuff (a couple small power heads, lots of rocks and driftwood...)

Should I clean everything? The tank was up and running with fish just a couple days ago. Is there any chance that some of the bacteria has survived that might speed up or eliminate the cycling process? Would I be better off/safer just scrubbing the tank down and tearing down the filter, rinsing the gravel and starting from scratch? (the former owner said that it was a planted community tank and there was an outbreak of some sort of alge just recently).

I ordered a test kit and a few other various supplies online so it will be a few days before I get that, but I'd like to get things started and set up. I would appreciate any advice that anyone could give me on how to procede from here.

It is my understanding that used tanks should be cleaned thouroughly as you have no way of knowing what might have been in there. I may be wrong but IMO I would clean it out totally.

your likely going to need a bigger filter or another filter.. for a planted tank you would need about 450gph and for fish only up to around 720gph.. your canister is 350gph - some for pumping up, around sharp corners in tubing and through the media.. you need some combination of heaters to = 450 watts.
I can only assume this tank was understocked if the fish were doing well in it.. and as far as the heater goes, they must have had goldfish or a warm house to keep the water at the temperatue needed..
if its been a couple of days and the tank has been dry the likelyhood of the bacteria surviving is slimm to none and slim left town.. none of it was wet, airated, and there was no ammonia(food) so it should all be dead by now..
It does sound like you might have gotten a good deal.. and starting with a 90 gallon tank is GREAT! Missing a few things here and there really isnt a big deal it just might set you back a little wile time wise.. It should give you time to clean things up (since the tank has been dry for 2 days there isnt any reason not to just clean it all) Hope this Helps

Yes, thank you. I was pretty sure I would need another heater and additional filtration. I had planned on getting an additional HOB style filter (Emperor 400 probably?)and maybe an inline heater. I'll get the heater right away but the filter can probably wait since I'll be starting with a very small bio load.

I had planned on starting with a 55 gallon but when I saw the 90 gallon at an affordable price I just couldn't pass it up. Looks like I have some cleaning to do tonight...

RabidChild, Welcome to AA. Sounds like a great find. If you are going to add additonal filtration to the tank and you are going with a HOB style you might want to look at the AquaClear 110 (old model 500) filter system. It has a 3 stage system and does a good job. Its rated at 500 gph and for up to 110 gal tank. That and your 350 Canister I think would do a good job for you. You can find them on line for about 35.00.

Good Luck and Welcome to AA

Alright I went ahead and ordered the Emperor 400 and a couple of 250 watt visi-therm stealth heaters. I also got some new filter media for the cannister since that was all pretty old and nasty. Throw in a test kit, some flake food, a new thermometer, dechlorinator, salt and ick medication (just in case) and this is starting to get expensive. :)

The tank is clean. I just used some diluted vinegar and a scouring pad. The gravel isn't too easy to clean but I got as much stuff out as I could. When I get the new filter media I'm going to use some diatom powder with the canister filter (saw that trick on here somewhere) and stir up the gravel a few times which I'm guessing should do the trick.

Now I just have to wait a week for everything to show up. Then I can start the cycle and try to decide what fish I'm actually going to put in the tank. I'm thinking some sort of community tank with angelfish right now. I still haven't tested my water yet so...

Back
Top Bottom