Setting up a Reef Sytem in 5 easy steps-really??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is pretty close on how my most recent tank went.
But, i disagree on a few things.
I think the rock should go in first. 4-6 " of water. Then sand, followed by the water. By placing the rock on the bottom there is no chance a burrowing critter could cause an avalanche.
Week 4. A 30 gal clean up crew may be too large to start. Add a few at a time. If add too quickly they may eat all of the algae immediately and then starve.
Weeks 6 and 8. That is alot to add to a tank in that time. And maybe too many.
Weeks 10 and 12 6 fish in 2 weeks is way to fast. I go with 2 fish to start. 2 weeks later add 1 fish to a qt for 4-6 week period. If safely passed qt they go in the tank and a new guy goes into qt.
Hey I'm not knocking the article. I just believe they are in it to make money by selling you stuff you may not need. Maintaning an aquarium. Do not dose your tank with anything you can't test for. Just because my tank needs some Ca doesn't mean yours will.
Hey I'm not knocking the article. I just belive they are also trying to make a sale.
The one thing that is most important in this hobby is patience. The article never mentioned that.

Thanks very much for your reply. Do you have any experience with the SeaClear System II tanks? I'm only just starting, and the only other tanks I'm familiar with are some small 6 & 12 gallon Eclipse System tanks we've setup at the office (FW).

With the Eclipse systems, I can get into everything at the top of the tank. I'm unsure how much maintaince actually goes on (filter changes?) for the SeaClear - therefore having everything in the back is making me nervous. Any insight??

bghouse one of the best things you did was post your questions in this forum. the crew here are very knowledgable with this hobby.

I started off half a year ago and I learned a ton reading books and posting on this forum. The way I did it was to add some water then the sand and then some rocks. I didnt add all the rocks at the same time.. we added about 20lbs every two weeks or so during the cycling process. good luck

Wow--to me, a newbie, that list looks like a recipe for disaster. As Darb2 said, too much, too fast. The first rule of SW keeping, as I've learned here, is "patience." (Well, that, and "Don't forget the salt.") It seems (again, from my newbie perspective) that every tank has its own personality, so to speak--they cycle at their own rates, adjust to additional bio-load at their own rates, and are ready for more life at their own rates. It might be a starting place, a general guide--but I'd want to do a whole lot more research before I trusted it wholly. Of course, your mileage may vary--it might work perfectly for some folks out there. :)

I have never used a compact system, so I can't be of any help with the SeaClear!

I love that article. They just forgot to add steps 6 and 7.

Step six: scoop out dead fish and corals
step seven: order more fish and corals :)

Oh, and don't forget step 8: give up on hobby until you come across AA and begin correctly with lots of good advice :D

Definately too much too soon. Factor in an actual cycle and add slower in the same order but without the overpopulation and its fine.

Back
Top Bottom