setting up my 46 gallon aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well OK, let me apologies right now, the biggest fish i have ever had is a angelfish and these bigger more aggressive fish are a bit new to me, i want a catfish, butterfly fish and a jewel chiclid. what other fish can i keep, and can i keep these 3.

this whole thing is new and if your opinion did not mater than i would have just bought a bunch of fish i like.

Again, what you want isnt always best for the fish. I want to have a nice school of Neon Tetras with my Texas Cichlids. Add some color eh?

But, the Texas get 8 inches long and would devour them.

I worry about the Butterfly getting his appendages nipped or not being able to get enough food.

A breeding pair of Jewel Cichlids, nice and colorful and active, with a type of cat like a Rapheal would work. Thats about as stocked as you could get.

Or, a single Jewel with a trio of Pictus. That would work too.

You have to consider aggression, water parameters, aggression, and water parameters when you want to set up a tank.

Notice the repeats. They are intentional.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

well OK, let me apologies right now, the biggest fish i have ever had is a angelfish and these bigger more aggressive fish are a bit new to me, i want a catfish, butterfly fish and a jewel chiclid. what other fish can i keep, and can i keep these 3.

this whole thing is new and if your opinion did not mater than i would have just bought a bunch of fish i like.

And, thanks.

Its rare to see people being sensible enough to take some time and listen when they don't really know what to do. Kudos for that.

Also, don't feel bad about only keeping smaller or less aggressive fish. We all have to start off somewhere :)

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

If you want to go with some aggressive fish, I got some right up your alley. But they just don't get very big...

Sent via echolocation

If you want to go with some aggressive fish, I got some right up your alley. But they just don't get very big...

Sent via echolocation
really what?
And, thanks.

Its rare to see people being sensible enough to take some time and listen when they don't really know what to do. Kudos for that.

Also, don't feel bad about only keeping smaller or less aggressive fish. We all have to start off somewhere :)

well i'm just starting out so i guess i will have plenty of time to keep all the fish i want in bigger tanks

so i have come to a near conclusion,
1 jewel chiclid
3 pictus catfish
mabey one other fish, i will get later

Why not a wet pet? Stick a green terror in there and call it a day.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

so i have come to a near conclusion,

1 jewel chiclid

3 pictus catfish

mabey one other fish, i will get later

This woukd work. That would be a very responsible and sensible choice for you to make.

The extra fish could be a Rubberlip Pleco. A type of catfish. They dont eat algae really, but its pretty small and looks cool. Its tough to.

I would do:

1x Jewel Cichlid
3x Pictus Cat
1x Rubberlip Pleco

:)

Why not a wet pet? Stick a green terror in there and call it a day.

I thought you learned your lesson with big cichlids?

Green Terror. A swimmer. Up to a solid foot long in males or 9-10 inches in female. Predatory. High bio load. Aggression that generally prevents it from being held with tank mates in a small enclosure. And the OP wants a catfish.

A Green Terror? Um, no. I don't think its a good fit.

Something wrong with one small green terror?

I thought you learned your lesson with big cichlids?

Green Terror. A swimmer. Up to a solid foot long in males or 9-10 inches in female. Predatory. High bio load. Aggression that generally prevents it from being held with tank mates in a small enclosure. And the OP wants a catfish.

A Green Terror? Um, no. I don't think its a good fit.

Dude, chill out, I'd say a green terror would work, it may be aggressive, but the bioload makes the tank stocked at 49% on Aqadvisor. But it is true the OP does want a catfish.

Sent via echolocation

Just a suggestion lol I take no offense.

What about syndontis petricola?!? I don't know about compatibility with other fish but they look pretty sweet and you could probably keep 2-3 in a 46. I hear they school too.... A little pricey from what I understand

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

yea they synodis is a little price if i'm going to get 3 of them.

this stocking may change slightly, i am part of an aquareum society, and they do auctions each month, this month is the mega auction where a bunch of people come and a ton of stuff comes, if there is a larger fish i must have then i will get that.

but i may put a pleco in there i have 6 bn in my 30 i got 6 at my aquarium meting for 4 dollars

Dude, chill out, I'd say a green terror would work, it may be aggressive, but the bioload makes the tank stocked at 49% on Aqadvisor. But it is true the OP does want a catfish.

Sent via echolocation

Didnt mean it to sound aggressive towards him. Just am a but tired and cant be bothered to type in as many words as usual.

And it isn't really bioload i worry about, its the fact that GT really like to swim and there isn't much space. The dimensions of a 40 Breeder would be more appropriate. At least, i think. Im not sure about the 46 gallons dimensions, but unless its at least 14 inches wide and 36 long i would say no.

Back
Top Bottom