Setting up RO/DI system?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aw_Ref

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm thinking about setting up a RO/DI system and would appreciate some sage advice from the experts on this forum, please:

I'd like to set-up my sump with a float valve for auto top offs and maintain a storage tank for water changes (I assume this is what everyone does). Do I need to just install a Y-valve on the filtered side to route water to either my sump or the storage tank?

Are there any distance concerns for running the "good" line from the filter to the sump? I will most likely mount the filter in the garage and my tank is on the other side of the house. Just wondering if the distance will be a problem.

The thought of using a saddle-valve to tap into a cold water line under pressure really doesn't thrill me. I'm planning on leaving the system on constantly, so hooking up to an outside hose bib isn't an option. What are some other creative options when a hose bib just isn't handy?

Any other words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Aw_Ref said:
I'm thinking about setting up a RO/DI system and would appreciate some sage advice from the experts on this forum, please:

I'll get you started, but it will take more of a sage then I.

Aw_Ref said:
I'd like to set-up my sump with a float valve for auto top offs and maintain a storage tank for water changes (I assume this is what everyone does). Do I need to just install a Y-valve on the filtered side to route water to either my sump or the storage tank?

I auto-topoff from my storage tank (which is 30 gallons or so). My RO/DI fills my storage tank and a Maxi-Jet pumps into my sump. You can see my documentation HERE

Aw_Ref said:
Are there any distance concerns for running the "good" line from the filter to the sump? I will most likely mount the filter in the garage and my tank is on the other side of the house. Just wondering if the distance will be a problem.

You wouldn't really want any dead water sitting in the tube if you could help it, but if it's an auto-topoff it shouldn't really be a big deal. I run about 30' of tubing from the output to my storage.

Aw_Ref said:
The thought of using a saddle-valve to tap into a cold water line under pressure really doesn't thrill me. I'm planning on leaving the system on constantly, so hooking up to an outside hose bib isn't an option. What are some other creative options when a hose bib just isn't handy?

I'm connected to a Y-Valve on my slop sink in my laundry room by a threaded hose connection.

Aw_Ref said:
Any other words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Thanks Bearfan. I don't have a slop sink plumbed, but can probably accomplish the same thing coming off of the cold water line for the washing machine. The big relief is that distance, within reason, shouldn't be a concern for running the lines.

I appreciate the input.

Back
Top Bottom