Setup a Glass Fish Tank OUTSIDE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NcgOsh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi

I am planning to buy a 2m (L) x .5m (W) x .5m (H) glass fish tank to be kept outside.

I got a lower window in the Family Room just below TV, refer attached photo:

Window from inside:
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/8714/p1000106d.jpg

I am planning to keep the fish tank outside just in front of above window, refer attached photo:

Window from outside:
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4967/p1000105jd.jpg

The reason for this is to watch fish from inside house but to keep the tank outside.

So, what do you think guys?

(a) Could I maintain “Clear Water” throughout the year?
(b) What equipment should I attach to this tank?

Please let me know.
Thanks

NcgOsh said:
Hi

I am planning to buy a 2m (L) x .5m (W) x .5m (H) glass fish tank to be kept outside.

I got a lower window in the Family Room just below TV, refer attached photo:

Window from inside:
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/8714/p1000106d.jpg

I am planning to keep the fish tank outside just in front of above window, refer attached photo:

Window from outside:
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4967/p1000105jd.jpg

The reason for this is to watch fish from inside house but to keep the tank outside.

So, what do you think guys?

(a) Could I maintain “Clear Water” throughout the year?
(b) What equipment should I attach to this tank?

Please let me know.
Thanks

I've got a fish tank outside (been about 2 weeks) and I have been wondering if there are anythings I should be watching out for too. Following along. :)
One thing that was mentioned to me was to try keep it out of direct sunlight and have it under cover. I also have lids on mine to stop birds and my cat from getting into the fish.
What kind of fish are you planning on keeping? If it gets too cold (snowing) I'm not sure tropicals are the best idea.

Hi there

I do not have any idea what kind of fish to buy.

My main concern at this point is to keep the water clean without having algea and etc.

Also, I am seeking methods/equipments to keep this tank clean from algea as this will be directly under Sun.

Thanks

NcgOsh said:
Hi there

I do not have any idea what kind of fish to buy.

My main concern at this point is to keep the water clean without having algea and etc.

Also, I am seeking methods/equipments to keep this tank clean from algea as this will be directly under Sun.

Thanks
I just realized your new to the site, welcome!
The best way to avoid algae will be to keep it out of direct sunlight. You will want to have a cover/roof over it and the equipment. Live plants will also help out compete the algae.
The fish selection will really depend on the climate. If it's warmer throughout the year (including winter) you might be able to get away with tropicals. Fancy goldfish will work if it doesn't snow. And if it gets really cold, small pond fish.
I would recommend a canister filter (IMO they are the best). You will need a heater too.

Thanks for above replies, guys.

I am still seeking methods/equipment to maintain a algae free tank which I have to install under direct sun light.

algae in outside tank

you might need a in line sterlizer it will kill algae as i have been told:D

I Like some algae in my aquarium. I would recommend keeping plants including duckweed and some algae eating fish like goldfish (it will eat the duckweed also.)

I would have a lid on top and covers on back and sides so the only side open is the one looking through the window. Keep comet or common goldfish so it wont be an issue with winter but you could keep some live plants in there to make it look good

Its possible but I think its going to be very difficult to keep the algae off the glass and also the filter from plugging up....you'll be cleaning it every day....the things that will help are a uv sterilizer and some algae treatment....I have it for my pond called accuclear....this treatment does not kill the algae rather makes it form clumps so my filter can clean it out better. The bad thing is with fish like koi or goldfish is they produce HUGE amounts of waste and thats what the algae feeds off of. On the other hand they also eat the algae so its going to be difficult but good luck with it.

Back
Top Bottom