Several plants with baby fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shopping list for tomorrow..... 1 Bristol nose Pleco... Algae magnet(maybe)... New gravel vac....

Ralphie126 said:
So I have a little more space..... In my 36 gallon bow I have 2 convicts, a rainbow shark, 1 tiger barb and soon something else to eat the algae.

Do not add anything. IMO you need to up the tiger barb school, after that you are stocked. The rainbow shark shouldn't be in there.

You can try to get rid of the diatoms, but it will go away on its own. To my knowledge, the only fish really known to eat diatoms are otos.

Yea...... I am putting the tb in my 10g soon with other tbs so calm down...... I will get 2 otos

So now tomorrow I will buy 2 otos and more tbs.... The tbs r In a 10 g

Ralphie126 said:
So now tomorrow I will buy 2 otos and more tbs.... The tbs r In a 10 g

Be careful with the otos. They're known to be sensitive and die at any time for no reason.

I still think you should just wait it out for a few months before the diatoms go away...

Ughhh.... Alright what is a small algae eater that will eat the diatoms and is hardy????

Ralphie126 said:
Ughhh.... Alright what is a small algae eater that will eat the diatoms and is hardy????

You can try a nerite snail. They're inexpensive and will eat them, but after they've eaten them all up you'll have to feed them prepared foods.

Ralphie126 said:
It was off for like 2 weeks.....

That may be a problem, did you happen to see if the media was still wet? I'm going to guess it dried up. Which means you now have an uncycled tank.. Do you have a test kit?

Ok ok ok, back up a few steps here.

1) Otos shouldn't be in an unestablished tank. They're too sensitive for that.
2) Buying ANYTHING for a diatom problem is pretty silly. It's a extremely common problem that will fix itself. Get a magfloat and wipe it off of plants yourself.
3) I don't even see much in the way of diatoms from your pics. Will the otos even have enough to eat?
4) You need to confirm your cycle ASAP.

The media never dried up because I ran it at might for an hour.... But other than that it was off.

Alright so here is what I will buy..... New gravel vac....algae magnets.... A few tb to go school with the other in the 10g

The media never dried up because I ran it at might for an hour.... But other than that it was off.

Ralphie, I'm not sure you understand how the whole beneficial bacteria within the filter thing works. You can't leave your filter off other than 1 hour per day. You need to have it on constantly in order to maintain balance in the tank.

Well i already put a new media in and it has been running for about35hrs

Just PRETEND my tank was fine except for the brown algae..... Should I get an algae eater or the magnets?

Well i already put a new media in and it has been running for about35hrs

Sorry, can't pretend. I'm all for the health and well-being of your fish.

New media? What did you do with the old media? I'm praying it's still there because if you've tossed it, you've also tossed the majority of your beneficial bacteria.

You do understand that we're trying to help you, right?

Bottom line.... What else should I buy besides a gravel vac and the magnet???

If the old media is still wet, hanging on the inside if the tank, you should take out the new stuff and put that back in, I find it hard that you haven't let all the bacteria starve/dry up, but theres still the chance theres something there. Do you know how to do a fish in cycle?

Back
Top Bottom