Severum on a self-mutilation spree!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

funwiththefish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My adult (8") green severum, Nom, is currently on a mad rampage, apparently dashing herself on sharp objects in the tank.

Parameters are as follows (before my water change): Ammo - .25, nitrites - 5.0, nitrates - 5.0, temp - 76, ph - 7.6.

This is a 55 gallon tank. I do about 15% water change weekly, and these are the numbers right before the water change. I know my ph is high for severums and that it could be contributing to Nom's behavior.

I've got an Emperor Bio-Wheel 400 running in the tank, and the only other tankmates are a juvenile severum (<2"), a rusty african cichlid (2") and an upside down catfish (1").

I've had Nom for about 4 weeks, and in the first week, she spawned (probably triggered by a temp change between the lfs and my tank). Last week, she spawned again, as the temp in the tank went down to 74 degrees when I changed the water. Both egg batches were duds, and I removed the rock they were layed on as soon as egg fungus began to develop.

The first time I took the rock out, and put it back, Nom made the adjustment with no noticable distress. This time, she was extremely aggressive when I took the rock out, and now that I have the rock back in, she has dug a 3" pit in the substrate behind the rock and mutilated herself on the other objects in the tank. She's got a large, 1/2" gash on her forehead, flesh showing, because the scale actually tore downward on her face (similar to when you rip a toenail off, and it rips into your flesh). There are a few other scratches on her one side, with damages scales, but the wounds don't look deep, merely scratches.

I don't know what caused her to get so upset this time. I know my ph is high, but can that be the only cause? My NO3 and NO4 are up a bit, too, but I think my biological filter is having a hard time. Ammo has been low all the time, temp is constant.

I treated the water to get those nitrate and nitrite levels down immediately, and I'll get my ph down as soon as possible. I'm going to change my water here in a minute, but wanted to get this alert on the board.

Perhaps there is something I don't know about severums or their parental behavior (even when they aren't parents). I've never had a fish spawn before, until I got Nom, so perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks for any help, guys!

I'm no ultra fish expert, but are your nitrites really 5.0? I thought that was at or above the lethal level for most fish. 8O

Unfortunatley, I can't think of anything that would explain the odd behavior though, as it does seem more related to the rock and spawning than it does to water parameters. odd.

Just a note here funwiththefish. Ammonia .25 and pH 7.6. The further up the pH scale, the more toxic ammonia becomes to fish. If your readings are accurate, this alone could be severly stressing the severum and cause some strange behavior. If possible I would have your lfs verufy your test results. It looks like your right in the middle of a very nasty cycle. Has your filter been off for any length of time?

Adult severums are very hardy fish. With proper water conditions and the addition of some Melafix, the fish should heal. However, the effects of ammonia poisoning to the gills are permanent. I'm hoping that's not what has occured.

You need to get your ammonia and nitrite under control. Dashing against objects is called 'flashing' and is usually the result of skin irritation. Basically their skin itches so they try to scratch it. If it really itches they injure themselves. Like you scratching a mosquito bite until it bleeds, then picking at it some more.

Also many parasites cause itching. Malachite blue or green can be useful as can raising the temp in the tank and the use of aquarium salt.

Back
Top Bottom