Sexing a goldfish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi!

Well, I don't exactly have plans for breeding goldfish; I just thought this might be a good place to ask.

I have a fairly young goldfish, rescued from a kiddie pool at some stupid party. It lives in a large coleslaw container for now with daily water changes.
Anyways...

How do I sex it without having to take it out of the water? It's small and fiesty so I can't really get a good hold on it or observe it for too long.
It's about... a bit less than an entire thumb's length? So... like 2 inches long.

Is it too young to sex?

Thanks.

In short, you can't sex it. And it won't be breeding age for at least another year. You need to buy a bunch and hope that you've a pair. Goldfish look all the same girl or boy although during breeding season if they fish are properly conditions and the correct age the males will grow head tubules, little white protrusions on the face.

I've had both koi and goldfish breed although the eggs never make it in the pond. I have a 480gallon outdoor pond in which they breed annually the fish just eat what the others lay.

Okay-
So a gender neutral name it is :p
I've heard that males and females have somewhat distinct genitalia, though....
(Pardon me if I've misread your post.)

Back
Top Bottom