Sexing Altum Angels - same ways as normal ones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exodus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone!

I have two wild Peruvian altum angels that are about 6" (head to tip of caudal fin), which are in a 65g planted tank. :D

I used to work at a pet store, and one day my manager and I noticed these guys on the wholesaler list. I got 8 of them originally (at $7 a pop wholesale!), and slowly but surely they all died off. Except for two. :multi:

I'm wondering if it's possible that I might have a pair here. They ALWAYS hang out together in the tank, and I never see any signs of aggression between the two. How do you go about sexing these bad boys? Is it the same as normal angelfish? Because I'm terrible at sexing them :?

Any help?

Also, what size tank should these guys be in?
Up until now, they've been in the 65g and I havn't seen much growth from them lately. In the 65 there's also a school of cardinals (about 18), 2 julii cories, 8-10 marbled hatchets and a queen arabesque pleco.

I'm thinking about getting rid of my discus (which are in a 125g barebottom tank at the moment) and tossing the altums in there. Discus are too much work. Would 125g suit these guys for the rest of their days?

Thanks!!

Here they are, for any that are interested -

img_871414_0_c2c6d652a223dfc76a1a0c870eb71d35.jpg

Great looking altums, consider yourself lucky as these guys go for a small fortune. Yes, they are sexed the same way all other angels are sexed that being, you won't know for certain until you catch them in the act of spawning and get a glimpse of the breeding tubes.

They should be fine in the 65g, no need to ditch your discus.

They are spectacular specimens. I had aquired four of them a while back and none of them made it. :( They were really tiny and fragile. I don't have any pics of altum pairs but I'm including a few pics that I hope will help you differentiate between the sexes. As for tank size, I think the 65 is fine but if your set on getting rid of the discus, I'm sure they would just love the space of the 125. HTH

The first two pics are of female fish, the second two, males. The female tube is wide and blunt looking (actually concave but not noticeable in the pics, the male is narrow and pointed. And I apologize for the smears and water spots. :oops:)

Attachments

• 053105 055.jpg
    053105 055.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 053105 066.jpg
    053105 066.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 053105 059.jpg
    053105 059.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 071705 025.jpg
    071705 025.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 135
the altums are extraordinary

i stayed about half an hour and drooled in front of the monitor when i saw them

i had a complete black pair (male+female) and i LOVED them ... now you forced me to buy mehself another pair ;(((

Back
Top Bottom