Sexing Convicts... HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyle6367

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone.. so I bought a pair of small convicts a while ago. The guy at the store was convinced it was a male/female pair (which is what I was looking for). They have since gotten bigger and hopefully easier to sex.
I love the colors on the one to the right... is that the female?

Thanks!

Attachments

• convicts.jpg
    convicts.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 110
kyle6367 said:
Hey everyone.. so I bought a pair of small convicts a while ago. The guy at the store was convinced it was a male/female pair (which is what I was looking for). They have since gotten bigger and hopefully easier to sex.
I love the colors on the one to the right... is that the female?

Thanks!

Looks like male on left, female on right.

Thats what I was thinking... thanks! Just last night they dug a large hole in under the rocks in the center of the tank and built a wall in the front! I'm not sure if they are mature enough to mate yet, but they are starting to really stick around each other alot.

I'd say around 2 inches.. maybe a bit more or a bit less. Its hard to tell, but its the two pictured above.

One more quick question... I also have two small jack dempseys in the tank with them as well. I bought them all at the same time and they are they same size. If they convicts end up mating will the jacks be in trouble or think they will be able to get through breeding aggresivness. They get along perfectly now with no chasing or biting going on.

Its a 55g... with lots of hiding spots which I was hoping would help.

Short term should not be a problem but long term a 55g will not accomdate a pair of jacks and cons. Between aggression and deteriorating water quality a 90g+ would be needed. But for 3-6 months it should be fine as long as the cons claim the side of tank rather than the center, to encourage them to spawn in the corners build them a suitable cave such as a flowerpot.

The 55g is actually short term until I find a good deal on a larger setup. Unfortunatly the pair dug a cave dead smack in the center! :hide: I'm watching them closely for now, but so far so good. I was hoping the jacks would grow a bit larger before the convicts mated so they would be able to hold their own, but we will see... I'll keep you posted! Thanks..

Just keep an eye out for aggression, when spawning they will claim 12-18" in either direction from their spawn site. In a 4ft. tank this doesn't allow alot of usuable space for tankmates when they're in the center. I will place pots to the far left and right side of the tanks, like this.

27198-albums9290-picture38488.jpg

27198-albums9583-picture38487.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like a good idea.. Will they leave their tunnel for the pot if its already made? I also think the jack made a little hole in one of the corners for itself... Still now sure if I have a male and female yet.

Back
Top Bottom