Sharks and Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have sharks and plecos? Do they get along at all. My rainbow is bullying all the fish. He is very big. Does anybody have this problem also? Should I get rid of him?

IMO, Sharks and plecos would be fine together. Most FW sharks are actually not that agressive at all (but some are). How big is the rainbow, and how big is your tank? What kind of shark were you planning on getting?

Some sharks school, some need to be kept alone, etc.

I have an Australian Rainbow who bullied the crap out of his female companions, but I have since lost them, and now he is alone and peacfully cohabitating with the other fish. :wink:

my colombian "sharks" do fine with the plecos...I really think all fish have a respect of some sort for them, I've never seen any fish aggressive towards a pleco at all..

Plecos are usually always peaceful but may get aggressive with their own species, they like their own hiding spots. Rainbow sharks can get aggressive but I doubt will attack plecos. Just curious, why did you ask the question about if sharks and plecos get along? Do you have an empty tank or a tank with a pleco or something like that?

My rubber lip pleco is always aggressive towards others in the tank unless there is something in the tank more aggressive than it (and it then will become peaceful and bother none of the fish). Red tail shark and pleco never had any problems.

My bolivian rams and the pleco would have territorial disputes on occassion and the bolivians usuallly won.

The pleco used to try to "attack" my polypterus when I had it in the same tank with the pleco to grow it[the polypterus] out. Eventually, as the polypterus grew, the pleco would bother it less.

My red tail black shark doesn't mess with my pleco at all... but that might be because my pleco is about 8 or 9in long heh

I asked because I will be getting a pleco as an additional algae cleaner. I had 2 rainbow sharks and one of them is a very bad bully and attacks any other rish in the tank. I gave the bully rainbow shark away and all the fish seem to be getting along just fine. My tank is becoming an AMAZON tank. Does anyone also have a tank like this?

Back
Top Bottom