Sharks look unhealthy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psybuster

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was looking at my tank today, and I noticed that both my redtail and rainbow shark's fins are looking really bad. All the tips are turning white, and it looks all chunky. It's really an eye sore.

My red Tail has done that before, but mine goes back to normal overnight. Maybe they are getting bullied by the other red tail sharks because I've heard its not a good idea to mix them with there own species. Also check for Ich because when my sharks tails turned white i realized they had Ich.

If you are keeping a red-tailed shark and a rainbow shark in the same (small) tank, you are likely going to get aggression issues. They resemble each other, if we are talking about the fish I am thinking (it gets confusing with common names), and hey both are aggressive towards conspecifics. There might be trouble down the road.

Try adding a few more hiding places or caves. I have no problems with my bala, rainbow, and red tail. They were all together til I got a 2nd tank. Now that I got a 55G, will be putting my 2 eels and all the sharks in it, with the dojo loaches. And will have plenty of places to hide. Planning on making some homemade caves, since you can't find many in pet stores or online. :)

When my red tail lost it's color in it's tail, it was due to water conditions. I have found that the brighter the tail, the better the water conditions, and the happier the fish.

Back
Top Bottom