Shattered heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mylycanslove

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My heater shattered in my tank today, as I was adding new water while my fish was in the tank. Should I do anything other than clean the whole tank?

That'll be your best bet, hopefully you have somewhere safe you can put your fishes.
The only other alternative is to do a 90% water change after you've removed/cleaned decorations, etc, then fill back up.

Just a tip to prevent this from happening again:
Get a power strip that has a on/off toggle switch and plug in the heater and filter(a) into it. Prior to a water change, just flip the switch off and back on when you're done. Makes it easier and probably safer (than plugging and unplugging cords with potentially wet hands).
Also, using a non-glass heater might be helpful as well.

I would get a titanium heater. Their supposed to be unbreakable

I bought a tetra heater, which is what I have in my other tank. Also, I always unplug them before a water change. I think it was probably a combination of turning up the temperature too quickly and it being an old heater.
And I wish I could leave it plugged in, but I have an external filter and can't get the power box detached, so I have to unplug it take it to the sink to clean it

Just a tip to prevent this from happening again:
Get a power strip that has a on/off toggle switch and plug in the heater and filter(a) into it. Prior to a water change, just flip the switch off and back on when you're done. Makes it easier and probably safer (than plugging and unplugging cords with potentially wet hands).
Also, using a non-glass heater might be helpful as well.

Great idea...I'm going to go find an extra power strip right now!

Back
Top Bottom