Shell dweller tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishtankfan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone. I just bought myself a new tank and want to make it a shell dweller tank! Does anyone have a species suggestion. Aqua scape suggestion. I know I need shells but what else? Thanks

You can do a mix of some rocks and shells but id aim for having a little more shells then the rocks. Sand is also a very good idea to have with them.

There are many different options out there. Multies, occies, and brevis are readily available! They have different shell requirements. There is a great forum. Shelldwellers.com. That is where I would start looking for info on different species. I am cycling a 20g right now for some brevis! Ill post pics when it's done!

More shells than fish, sandy substrate (I used cichlid sand)

I kept gold occies. small fish, huge personality!

i was thinking Multies, do you know what kind of shells to use? and would clay pots look nice in there? ive heard of people using them before. anymore advice before i go get this tank ready?

Multi's require a lot of shells. You can use escargot shells and I've seen some setups with the entire aquarium floor covered with shells...

I use Mexican turbo snail shells I got from saltwater stores, rinsed and soaked them well. I try for at least 4 shells per fish.

Thanks for telling me about the Gold occies! how many shells do they need? how many females per male? I'm going to my LFS today to get Sand and Shells.

They have different filters and one has gravel the other has sand cause the other one is just a community tank

Well im guessing the one you are cycling now has sand. So you could tanke a small handfull of gravel from your cycled tank and put it in then cycle it for about three days. But if not and you are just going to cycle probably best to cycle it for a week. Others would say shorter like 5-6 days but about a week would be best.

They are neat little fish! I can't decide if I want multis or gold occies. Decisions decisions hahaha

Gahhh! Lol ive never even heard of gold occies and now i dont know haha. But i like the color of the gold but the mulltis just look so cool.

Back
Top Bottom