Shimmy'in Molly EDIT: Bacteria that looks like a fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMaiden

Aquarium Advice Freak
That place between sleeping and awake, where drea
Hi all,

My new black molly is sitting in QT swimming really fast in place and breathing rapidly too. Her fins are somewhat clamped and her anal vent is kinda sticking out. Sorta makes her belly look like a square. She's been like this since Wednesday when I bought her. Also her bottom lip looks unusually big. Kinda like when somebody punches you and your lip swells to a ridiculous size? She's the first molly I've ever bought so I'm not too experienced in the molly disease department. The silver molly I purchased later that same day from the same store is doing fine swimming normally, eating, and playing. I'm guessing the black one might be getting ready to have babies? Or maybe something is in her gills causing her to have difficulty breathing? Please help as soon as you can, I don't know what to do for her.

"Swimming really fast in place" - that sounds like shimmy. I don't have mollies but I've seen them do this at Walmart. One of the remedies suggested is aquarium salt. Do a search on "molly shimmy" or "shimmy disease".

Yes I'm afraid its shimmy. It says it is not a disease but a disorder brought about by stress. Perhaps she is pregnant and close to giving birth. That would cause her some stress. I will just have to try to make her as comfortable as possible and keep an eye on her. Hopefully she will calm down and be allright. Thanks ant iasg. I'll keep you posted on her progress and treatments if any. Bye for now.

YEsssss!!! recovery!!! I've found the culprit as to the shimmy. I did some intense research and found out about a tricky disease that most commonly causes shimmy. Its called cotton wool disease and it looks all the world like a fungus. You can treat it with anti fungal till your blue in the face. It is actually a BACTERIA. This disease has been called cotton wool disease AND MOUTH FUNGUS. This leads people to mis medicate their fish and they eventually wind up burying them. So for future reference anyone else who has a mysterious "fungus" that wont die treat it with an antibacterial right away. I treated the molly with the antibacterial Melafix and added a lil aquarium salt as well. She has completely quit the shimmy and the light translucent "fungus" that was starting to coat her is gone as well. I am glad I caught this and she is completely better now. Thank you so much everyone for your help and I hope this information helps many others in the future.

Cool, glad the molly is better.

Sounds like the disease you are talking about is columnaris, correct? Just reference for anyone who finds this thread.

Back
Top Bottom