Shipping Apple/Mystery Snail Babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TyTy98

Aquarium Advice Regular
image-4071643897.jpg

I have 12 day old apple/mystery snail babies. Would they survive if I shipped some to my friends in California, Connecticut and Pennsylvania??

Please give me info!! I have people anxious for me to ship the snails to them :)

Are Nerite snails the same thing as apple/mystery snails?? And would I do the drop of prime in their water??

Nerite snails are not the same species as apple/mystery snails.

Regarding the drop of prime, I really don't know, but it can't hurt* and would probably help. *There was/is a long-time poster who was regularly dosing his tank with Prime at 50 times the recommended dose with no apparent ill effects!

To be honest, I'm a bit concerned about the cold temperatures. I remember seeing a table of mortality rates at different temperatures for various species of apple snails and I think death increased at temperatures below 65 F. Maybe shipping experts can tell you if a heat pack would be necessary

Nerites are NOT mystery/Apples. Totally different species & requirements.

But as far as shipping goes, apples are even easier to ship than nerites. Apples have lungs and can live outside of water. You can ship them well packed in damp paper (so the shells don't get crushed). Have a bit of water in the bottom of the bag to keep everything moist, and fill it well with air. This should be OK for an overnight delivery.

BTW - Mysteries only ship well in warm weather .... they will not survive low temps. <I can't find the source right now, but I remember the lethal temp to be something like 50 or 60F.> I don't know what the temp is in the East, but I think they are having a cold snap ..... So Calif might be OK, but you might be taking a chance to the NE. <And definitely can't ship to Canada ... we are well below freezing.>

jsoong said:
Nerites are NOT mystery/Apples. Totally different species & requirements.

But as far as shipping goes, apples are even easier to ship than nerites. Apples have lungs and can live outside of water. You can ship them well packed in damp paper (so the shells don't get crushed). Have a bit of water in the bottom of the bag to keep everything moist, and fill it well with air. This should be OK for an overnight delivery.

BTW - Mysteries only ship well in warm weather .... they will not survive low temps. <I can't find the source right now, but I remember the lethal temp to be something like 50 or 60F.> I don't know what the temp is in the East, but I think they are having a cold snap ..... So Calif might be OK, but you might be taking a chance to the NE. <And definitely can't ship to Canada ... we are well below freezing.>

Okay. Thanks!! What of I put two heat pacs in the package? The delivery will probably 2 to 3 days. Is that okay??

Just use a 72 hour heat pack, you might not find one locally though, I've had to order mine from fish suppliers. I bag nerites just like fish except a smaller amount of water, not sure if it matters.

Back
Top Bottom