Shocking Experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I got my friend into the world of aquaria. He put a 40 gallon tank into his office. Everything is going well so far, but I noticed something unusual. I have keys to his office, so I went into to put some Java Moss in his tank. Every time I put my hands into the water, I got a shock. It's a very low current shock. It's like get flicked very lightly. The only thing that is submerged in the water is the heater. I assume that's what is causing it, and I told him to get a new one. The fish seem to be doing fine though. He doesn't have time to get a heater right away, probably until this weekend. Is there any harm in this?

It could have been just me, but I got shocked over ten times. I would think I would have discharged any charge in me after a couple times.

Yeah, it didn't bother me and it didn't seem to bother the fish. Perhaps I'm a glutton for punishment.

Definitely get a new heater ASAP. And make sure your friend doesn't put his hand back in the water without FIRST unplugging the heater. The other problem I see is getting matched temps when you switch out the heaters. The degrees on the heaters rarely match up with the actual temp they try to reach. I would tell him to closely monitor the temp when he switches them out to make sure it doesn't get too hot/cold.

Back
Top Bottom