Shopping at Petco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nijoe1221

Aquarium Advice Regular
I already know that most everyone will agree that it's not to shop at Petco. Especially the one near me because nearly everything has ich.

Here's my question...
Are inverts safe to buy from ich filled tanks? My lfs sells cleaner shrimp for 55$ but Petco sells for 23$. Will I be introducing ich into my tank with this new addition? Or are shrimp immune to ich?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think if they eat ick then they probably don't carry them? Either way I bought my cleaner shrimp at petco. The first one died right after I got home... The second one I bought from petco is just fine and it has molded a couple times in my tank. I believe the first one I purchased is ready for molding and switching tank killed it before it can mold. If the price for two is still cheaper than LFS I will say go with it.

Btw if you don't trust the people at petco, you can always order through them and pick it up on the delivery date before it goes into their tank.

I already know that most everyone will agree that it's not to shop at Petco. Especially the one near me because nearly everything has ich.

Here's my question...
Are inverts safe to buy from ich filled tanks? My lfs sells cleaner shrimp for 55$ but Petco sells for 23$. Will I be introducing ich into my tank with this new addition? Or are shrimp immune to ich?

Whether you can see it or not, pretty much any fish you find in a LFS will have ich unless they are kept in hyposalinity or copper.

That being said, inverts don't carry the parasite so they are safe, although it might be wise to give them a day in QT just to make absolutely sure no free swimming theronts will be transferred in with them. Most people skip that step because the chance of that happening is very low.

Other people give inverts a full 2 week + QT.

I wouldn't buy anything out of a system that has ich or any other noticeable disease or parasite. Not only does it compound the risk of transferring something, it also supports a business that is not operating up to your standards.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

Back
Top Bottom