Short-sighted Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Are betas good at finding food? Several months back I weakened and got one for a 5 gal. Been years since I had one. Was a 'betta in a cup' rescue this time.

This one seems to swim exactly where the food isn't. I've tried lights off and on, same with filters. The Molly and rosy barb fry are running rings around this fish.

The same betta promptly killed several small Molly fry when first placed in tank so I assume his eyesight is good.

So kind of at a loss. I'm over feeding the fry so this betta gets something. He's on the thin side but otherwise looks healthy.

What do you feed the fry? What type of betta (dumbo... Etc...)?

-Weston --Sent Via The Space Time Continuum--

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The betta is nothing fancy. This one was just one of many in the small jars. They did have special breeds but this one I liked and he seemed active (plus I'd already tried to buy the rest of the store). Finage is long but nothing major. I didn't want one with finage too long.

The first few days I thought it's just cause he was in a jar and now has space. He started worming his way through driftwood and looked like he was off hunting and having a grand time. Also spent the first few weeks flaring at his reflection and generally checking himself out. Settled down now.

Food is just the same flakes I use in main DT. They all get the same. Reasonable quality / price for here but nothing special. If he sees one he will eat it so I have resorted to trickling the food in trying to drop in front of his nose. Floating or sinking flakes he will find but flakes on floor are lost cause to fry.

Soooo annoying. Last night he came out off cover at feeding time and then was busy swimming up and down the glass while I'm yelling 'behind you, you fool, look at where the other fish are!'. So kind of stuck??

I have 2 bettas in a 10 gallon tank with a tank divider. It might be that the the reflection is distracting him but idk. I use betta pellets rather than flakes and they sit at the top mm until they're eaten which worked well with my 2 (lewis and Marcus)

Could you post picks too? I would like to see the little guy :)

Short-sighted beta?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431266892.349466.jpg

Sure, a little tricky as he was darting around. This one was about $6 although some were $30. Was hoping he would get a better colour in a larger tank but oh well.

Edit - just noticed that I must of snapped one of the small rosy barbs behind him.

He looks great! I like his colors.

He looks great! I like his colors.

Thanks! He seems to recognise when people come into the room (or at least the food container lol). Pretty happy.

The fry will go into DT as soon as big enough not to be lost to the angelfish.

Back
Top Bottom