Shoud i get a external filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When did you buy your rena? How many bio stars are in a package? I know sponges are easier but not enough filtration. Before I was saying that canisters are better but harder to clean. :)

I wouldn't say their harder to clean, just messier. Wet shirt and pants, floor wet, the works lol. Anyway you don't get as much media as you would like with the filter. It's hard to come by rena supplies by me, mostly fluval so I have only a handful of the stars. Can't say they are any better/worse than the fluval ceramic rings. Pretty much anything that's nontoxic and wont degrade and has plenty of surface area is fine as biomedia. Also, to polish off your water I'd get filter floss. Really keeps the water crystal clear and free of detritus. Only downside is it can gunk up quick but it's super cheap! You can find it at craft stores, it's basically the stuffing you find in stuffed animals.

Wath are the all pond solutions filters like the 2000ef+ I was thinking of getting thanks

It actually depends on the canister filter and the internal filter. For sponges, you just take the songs off, squeeze it in a bucket of tank water for a few mins and then put it back. Canisters on the other hand, you have to take all the filter baskets out them clean the media inside. Canisters have a lot more media than sponges.
Agreed but I find I clean my canister a LOT less than I did with my internal, on the same tank, 55g.

I wouldn't say their harder to clean, just messier. Wet shirt and pants, floor wet, the works lol. Anyway you don't get as much media as you would like with the filter. It's hard to come by rena supplies by me, mostly fluval so I have only a handful of the stars. Can't say they are any better/worse than the fluval ceramic rings. Pretty much anything that's nontoxic and wont degrade and has plenty of surface area is fine as biomedia. Also, to polish off your water I'd get filter floss. Really keeps the water crystal clear and free of detritus. Only downside is it can gunk up quick but it's super cheap! You can find it at craft stores, it's basically the stuffing you find in stuffed animals.
I don't find it messier. Just unclip the canister, bring it to the sink and then give it a good clean. With my internal, having to remove it from the tank, half the gunk leaking back into the tank on removal. I find those more frustrating to clean than canisters!!!. I agree with the filter floss, every filter should have it, mine do....

Wath are the all pond solutions filters like the 2000ef+ I was thinking of getting thanks
Hit and miss really. I considered getting one but I've read mixed reviews. I've heard they loose their flow very quickly. It will do the job. If you go with it, I wouldn't bother with UV on it. Not really worth it IMO.

Thanks one more Q wat is the name of the stuff that you can mix wit carbon in the filter to stop algae from growing and is it any good

Can't beat the price. I did not get one with an UV as I don't need it. But I do agree that is not the best.
It may not be the best but if it fits your budget, that's what matters. It can be quite expensive for new people starting up, tanks, lights, heaters, filters etc. It can always be upgraded later.....

It may not be the best but if it fits your budget, that's what matters. It can be quite expensive for new people starting up, tanks, lights, heaters, filters etc. It can always be upgraded later.....

I also agree with you . I bought a penguin 350 but I couldn't reduce the noise level from the impeller. I returned it and went for the sun sun just for $20 more. It is cheap but it servers the purpose as any other canister filter ( btw it is my first canister) .

I also agree with you . I bought a penguin 350 but I couldn't reduce the noise level from the impeller. I returned it and went for the sun sun just for $20 more. It is cheap but it servers the purpose as any other canister filter ( btw it is my first canister) .

Yeah, the marineland hobs can be a bit noisy at times. If you want to just try out canister filter and see how it does, the sun sun is definitely worth it to get it. But for the more experiences people, they usually get the better ones. ;)

There's eheim classic 2217 on amazon for 55.00 bucks right now you won't have to worry bout getting a cheap one and it failing.

Back
Top Bottom