Should I add a red tiger?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toughguy1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have an African Cichlid 55 gal. tank. I do understand that you should generally not mix Africans and S. Americans. However, my fish are big. I am not totally good with the names so please excuse. I have a very large (5-6 inch) African which is blue/green near the head, and kind of camo in the back. Then I have (2) yellow w/ dark stripes (bumble bee?) that are about 4". Next is a light solid blue African around 4". Then there is a 3.5" orange African. For cleaning purposes, I have (2) 4" white tip cat fish, and a 3" pleco. I can't really add a small fish or a non-aggressive fish. I was thinking of adding one more fish, and I really like the color of the S. American red tiger. Please advise if this is a horrible idea.

If you can't remember the names (I suck at that too) can you show some pics? These guys are really awesome at giving an ID from a pic and that will give them a better idea of what advice to give. Are talking about an Oscar? if so I'm gonna say probably not a good idea I think an Oscar alone will fill up if not overfill your 55. And I'm no expert so get another opinion but it kinda sounds like you got a pretty full tank now instead of adding another fish why not add another tank?

Nice to meet you btw I don't think I have had the chance to talk to you before.

Red Tiger Oscar (Astronotus ocellatus) ?

NO! Horrible idea on a couple of levels.

Don't mix Africans & SA/CAs, they need different foods, water parameters (ideally) and habitats.

55gal is the bare minimum in size for a Oscar, much prefer a 75gal, and heavy filtration is needed.

Oscar will outgrow, and may eat some African species.
Oscar will reach a average 8"+ in the first year.

Many African species are too aggressive for a Oscar.

And more... Just say no... C'mon, say it with me, "No!" ;)

I didn't realize that the red oscar's grew to 8" in the first year. I was thinking about buying the standard 3". That is amazing that they grow 5" in one year. I have had those other fish for 2 years and their growth has been about about 2-3" each, total. I have a good relationship with my LFS, and I have brought back fish that get too big, on more than one occasion. That was my plan, but it sounds like it was a bad plan. I will re-evaluate adding fish. I just thought some red would be nice.

I didn't realize that the red oscar's grew to 8" in the first year. I was thinking about buying the standard 3". That is amazing that they grow 5" in one year. I have had those other fish for 2 years and their growth has been about about 2-3" each, total. I have a good relationship with my LFS, and I have brought back fish that get too big, on more than one occasion. That was my plan, but it sounds like it was a bad plan. I will re-evaluate adding fish. I just thought some red would be nice.
Your looking at it wrong...

From hatching fry to a average 8"+ in the first year of growth.
They average 1" per month in their first six months, they grow very rapidly.
By 1.5-2 yrs they are a 12" total length, 10" standard length.

Plenty of awesome Africans you can add.

I have a very large (5-6 inch) African which is blue/green near the head, and kind of camo in the back.sounds like a male venustus Then I have (2) yellow w/ dark stripes (bumble bee?) that are about 4" you guessed that one right... Next is a light solid blue African around 4".Im going to guess at colbalt blue zebra... Then there is a 3.5" orange African. red zebra perhaps?

Looks like ChileRelleno has you covered on the oscar info. If I were you, I would stock up to 1m-3fm of three of those fish, rehome the venustus as it gets a bit large for a 55g IMO (8-10" or so)

OK thanks. So far I have 0 Nitrates every time I check it. I also have more than twice the filtration necessary. I will keep an eye on things. Talk to ya'll soon.

Your Zebras will not likely welcome an oscar...At my fiance's school one of her co workers put a 5 inch oscar into a 75 gal tank with 4 donated "gold fish". They shredded the poor oscar and when I came in to check it out they turned out to be Red Zebras. The oscar was finned down to the body and it wasn't pretty. (The zebras found a home in another friends 300 gal mbuna tank. I helped them pick out some calmer fish lol)

Ya see how your acronym has a dotted underline? Hover your cursor over it and abracadabra!

LFS = Local Fish Store

Not all acronyms are listed.

Back
Top Bottom