Should I add fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mollesandra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon saltwater tank which has been cycling for about 4-5 weeks. I have four healthy damsels and two healthy turbo snails. I have had my water tested with good results.
Would it be appropriate to add clownfish?
Should I get a mated pair?
How can I tell a healthy clownfish from an unhealthy one?
Thank you!

First off, welcome to AA!!!! :D :D :D
You could get them if you return the damsels. The general rule of thumb is 2" of adult fish to every 10 gallons. A mated pair would be nice, but tank raised are much heartier and acclimate better.
Alway physically inspect the fish before you bring them home. Looking to see if there are any obvious diseases or parasites. Ask them to feed the fish in front of you so you can see them eat. Stay away from fish that that are skinny or appear tattered at all.
Don't forget to qt all your fish for 4 weeks before adding. :wink:

What did you have tested and what were the readings.
A pair of clowns should be add at the same time. Why pay for a mated pair when you can get 2 real small clowns and have them mate. Cheaper then buying adult mated pairs. It is nice if you can watch the fish for a week or two at the LFS before you buy it, seeing it eat is a good sign. Most LFS won't hold fish so you really have to look at color, how active they are, injuries and ask the LFS to feed them.
How long have the damsels been in the tank.

The damsels have been in the tank for between a week and 10 days.
Will any clown pair I get mate? I have seen tanks with terra cotta pots used as housing for clowns. Is this a good idea?

The damsels have been in the tank for between a week and 10 days.
I take it you used them to cycle. If thats the case, I would wait a week or so to be sure your cycle is complete. Thats a little fast.
If you buy clowns as babies, they may not sucessfully mate, but they should pair up. One will grow larger than the other and become the dominant female.
Mating of clowns is possible, but special procedures need to be taken. Sorry, I am not familiar with those procedures.
Also clowns do not need a "host" to thrive, they can do very well without one.

Thank you very much for all your advice so far. It's been a great help.

Would it be a good idea to get more than two to better the chances of getting a mating pair, or would this make them unhappy? Thank you again.

Quarryshark** did you mean 2" for every gallon or every 10 gal ???
Opps...lol. I mean 2" per 10 gallon. Thanks Comfort :oops:
See where drugs will get you......kidding. :lol:

Would it be a good idea to get more than two to better the chances of getting a mating pair, or would this make them unhappy? Thank you again.
2 "babies" is all it will take IMO. My experience is with tank raised.

Back
Top Bottom