Should I add more fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tong

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is in the planted forum because I want to know how heavily planted tank people stock.

Currently in my 10 gallon heavily planted tank I have 6 neon tetras and 6 otos. I have no problems with NO3. I actually have to add 8+ ppm each week just to keep the BBA at bay. I also recently upgraded my lighting from 1 15W bulb to 4 15W bulbs...so I'm going to need even more NO3 as it is.

I am looking to add 1 or 2 american flagfishes. Partly to keep help with my BBA issues and partly because, well, they that aren't popular.

I have two concerns here. Will the tetras nip at the flagfishes? Will I have enough oxegen (I am not worried about NO3)?

So could I add 1 or 2 of these guys in?

By the rule of thumb, you're already overstocked. The ottos and tetras won't conflict socially, so you've done ok there, and your plants are absorbing excess nitrates. The flagfishes however will take up the same swimming space as the tetras, so if they don't school together, there may be some stress.

It's not really advisable, but you could make it work. You may need to step up water changes to reduce stress levels.

Back
Top Bottom