Should I buy this light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I probably wouldn't buy a PC fixture brand new these days, as there are cheaper and better options available in the form of T5HO, or even LEDs in many cases. You should be able to find a satisfactory T5HO fixture for about half that.

I probably wouldn't buy a PC fixture brand new these days, as there are cheaper and better options available in the form of T5HO, or even LEDs in many cases. You should be able to find a satisfactory T5HO fixture for about half that.

I live in Canada so prices aren't always the best, I wouldn't pay that $200 though I would offer much less. I don't want to spend more than $200 lights included. I'm really not too sure where to look or buy from though and what brands to get.

What about this? Again not goin to pay $200

http://guelph.kijiji.ca/c-pets-accessories-Hagen-GLO-T5H0-dual-bulb-light-W0QQAdIdZ453181966

Considering that it comes with reef-centric bulbs, you would have to buy new bulbs in addition to whatever you end up paying. Even without the lights, unless you're going to be paying quite a bit less than what he's asking you're not getting a good deal. I will admit though that I'm not as familiar with pricing. I'm pretty sure that many online stores are shipping to Canada though.

Considering that it comes with reef-centric bulbs, you would have to buy new bulbs in addition to whatever you end up paying. Even without the lights, unless you're going to be paying quite a bit less than what he's asking you're not getting a good deal. I will admit though that I'm not as familiar with pricing. I'm pretty sure that many online stores are shipping to Canada though.

Yes I can get the same fixture off eBay new for $185 but then comes taxes and duty then bulbs. Blah :( idk what to do really..

If budget is important to you, Hagen Glo fixtures probably aren't your best bet. They're solid, quality fixtures, but you pay for that quality. The odyssea line of fixtures are budget price, budget quality, but they get the job done for the demands of most people. I think you can probably get them to Canada fairly easily.

If budget is important to you, Hagen Glo fixtures probably aren't your best bet. They're solid, quality fixtures, but you pay for that quality. The odyssea line of fixtures are budget price, budget quality, but they get the job done for the demands of most people. I think you can probably get them to Canada fairly easily.

Hmm, so I'm thinking dutys will cost roughly $50 so would put me about $240ish without bulbs...

I found this fixture from a supplier who's close enough I can pick it up. Is that unit any good? Is the price fair?
http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/aqualight-double-strip-p-2690.html

I've been using the oddesea t5 48'' 216watt light fixture in my 60 gallon and it seems to do the job. At first because it was so cheap it thought it would be low quality but it is actually very satisfactory.

I would agree on not going with the PC fixture. I had them when I first started, but after the first couple years, due to the bulbs getting so hot, the connectors and wires get very brittle and can easily break when you try and change out bulbs. I'm currently looking at a T5HO now for my 75G.

For all the 3 fixture that you linked, the actinic bulbs have nothing to do with planted tank, so if you buy those, you have to replace the bulbs for sure...and I think it is not cheap
As suggested, find another fixture that fit your needs in planting...

Back
Top Bottom