Should I drip acclimate or use the floating bag method to acclimate neon tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't go as far as to drip them, but I do float for 20 mins, then start adding and removing some bag water and adding some tank water every 10 mins or so until the bag water has pretty much become tank water. Then I add them to the tank. I get crap quality neons and this really helps.

I don't go as far as to drip them, but I do float for 20 mins, then start adding and removing some bag water and adding some tank water every 10 mins or so until the bag water has pretty much become tank water. Then I add them to the tank. I get crap quality neons and this really helps.

this is the method I use, it works well, never lost a fish using it.

Pete

Thanks. I did this last night when I got them. From the start I had one loner that was hiding, unfortunately he died this morning. The other three actually started to school, they look great!

IME putting anything into an established tank (fish or plants) should be put in a QT for 10 days minimum. I got a case of ick from putting plants in the day I got them. Never again :(.

If it's a new tank or you just want to add them, drip acclimation is the best way IMO. I keep the fish bagged, put it/them into a container (so it stay upright) and do 2 gallons over a 1 hour period (start slow drip, then speed it up) then take the bag and float it for 20-30 mins in the tank.

I also never put water from another tank into my tank, since you can't know what's floating around in it.

For little fish I float the bag, change out water every 15 or so minutes until it's tank water then release.

For our bigger guys, bucket and drip.

Back
Top Bottom