Should I euthanize my platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heidiheidi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a little yellow platy that I'm pretty sure has bladder disease. He's bent, and just floats. He's been like this for well over a month. I moved him to a 3 gallon tank and have been hand feeding him since he can't raise his head to the surface. I just got back from a weeks vacation and he had a fish sitter who knew nothing about fish, and he survived. He obviously does not have a good quality of life but does he know that? I don't know if I should intervene or let nature take it's course. He's a fighter and I'm not sure I'd be able to end his life. Any advice would be appreciated.

You could try feeding it the mushy insides of a pea (not the shell). This can help with swim bladder issues.

I would recommend to help the platy until he is either done for or is cured. Its not fair for the fish to suffer and die.

There is a simple way to fix the swim bladder disease in many cases. Nobody seems to know why it works, but it does (probably by loosening food impaction). Take a soft, cooked pea (either fresh, canned or frozen and then cooked), crush it and feed it to the fish. This normally solves the problem within a few hours. If this does not work, do not feed the fish for a few days, since fasting should also clear any food impaction. As with any other disease or medical condition, it is important to always ensure the water quality in the tank is good. A partial change of water is a good idea, even if the pea trick has worked. Also check the pH and temperature and make sure the water is not too alkaline or too cold.

Thanks. I'd googled swim bladder disease and the only answer I found was it can't be cured and the fish will die. I had tried giving him some pea a few weeks ago but it's hard to feed him. I've been giving him frozen blood worms because they hang and he can grab them. I do a partial water change every week. I had him and a couple others in a biorb. Biorbs look cool but don't filter out the junk well. I'm afraid that's how he got this.
Are there any tricks to getting the pea in the mouth. I've been using a tweezer but if he doesn't grab the pea, it sinks and sometimes he just doesn't want it.

I've tried that. I just tried again after crushing it but he wouldn't take it. I don't think he cares for peas too much. I'll try again tomorrow.

Really, the best way to treat swim bladder problems is in most cases to keep the water quality good and the temperature stable, to give good quality food which is pre-soaked, and to occasionally feed live food and to occasionally withhold food for a day or so. An occasional treat of a pea or two also helps prevent swim bladder problems. So, If you cant get him to eat the pea, make sure to do a Partial water change everyday.

I've had the same problem with a platy before. It's spine was curved and it was bloated. It went on like this for well over a month. It's probably fish TB(curved spine) and not just a common bladder issue . My platy ended up dying on it's own.

Try adding some salt to the water. I find it helps reduce stress in most fish. One Tablespoon for every 5 gallons is good (that's what I use). My platy is swimming around actively. I also keep the temperature at 80 F.

Back
Top Bottom