Should I get another goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laser

Aquarium Advice Addict
I already know the answer is yes that I can, but I'm wondering if I should. I have 2 fantails in my newly setup 40 gallon breeder tank. I'm running an established Aquaclear 70 and a Fluval C4 on it so cycling is not a concern. I know 3 goldfish falls into the 20 gallons for the first goldfish and 10 for each additional, but is less more in this case? Or, do goldfish appreciate company? It seems the two I have are somewhat social so far.

You have the room and the filtration. Yes, I believe Goldfish do appreciate company. I say go for it if you want but you might consider finding one the approximate size as your current ones. You might also consider bumping up you PWC schedule if you do, depending on your current schedule of course.

Yes, you could but as Blert mentioned, I would bump up your water change schedule (no less than 2x/wk, no less than 50% each). I would also qt any new fish for atleast 4wks. I will tell you I only have 2 in my one 55 (they are both large) and even with it heavily planted, I still have to do frequent big (75-100%) water changes to keep the nitrates under control. They will likely be upgraded to a 75 in the very near future or moved outside in the spring because the 55g is starting too look small for them. Ultimately, its your decision but I think less is always more with messy goldies. :)

Back
Top Bottom