Should i put salt in my cory catfish/guppy fish tank or jo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IME corys do not do well with salt, I personally will refrain from using it unless absolutely necessary. Other people sve had better experiences with it.
Why do you want to use salt??

I want to use it cause I just bout a fish from pet store and it had worms I think I got rid of it and I want to get rid of them if theynspread

Mumma.of.two said:
No. Freshwater fish are freshwater fish. They don't need salt. If your using it as a treatment for a disease thats fine. Cories are actually salt sensitive.

+ 1, cories don't have scales so salt can hurt them.

Are you referring to camellanus worms? You need something stronger then salt. There are medicated foods and anti parasitic medications. I don't know which ones because they aren't available where I am.

Using Salt in Freshwater Tanks

Should I put salt in my guppy and catfish taNk

Hello Mr ...

You'll get answers from both sides. I've used a little more than a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt in every 5 gallons of my water change water in my Fancy Guppy and Corydoras tanks from time to time for close to 10 years, since a friend who's kept different tropical fish since the 1960s convinced me to start using it.

His take on it is most fish pathogens can't tolerate even a trace of dissolved salt in the water, it boosts the fishes' immune system and fresh water in nature has a trace of salt in it. Aquarium salt, commercial canning salt and Kosher salt are used to treat fish parasite infections, so it makes sense to me to use a little routinely in my planted tanks. Also apparently, there's a calming affect salt has on tropical fish and water passes through the fishes' gills more easily, making breathing easier. A large, fish breeder and shipper in the Wisconsin area, I believe is their location, uses up to a tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of their replacement water with positive results.

I don't use much more than a teaspoon, because my plants don't like it. But, my fish are healthy and reproduce on a regular basis, so I use it.

It's entirely up to you.

B

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom