Should I remove the snails from my tank? (Asap)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoryCats101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have Malaysian trumpets, assassin, and pond snails in my tank. They are really starting to mess with the tank, and the tank's hardware's health. Are there any ways of killing them off? I am willing to do almost anything. I was thinking about buying a loach, but I would like some advice. Thanks! Btw: it is a planted large Fluval edge.

A fluval edge is too small for a loach. I don't advise getting one unless you have a tank to properly house one long term.
Generally, too many snails is a sign of overfeeding. I know that can be hard to avoid in some settings though, but if it is possible, cut back the food and you will also cut back the snails. I would just manually remove some and then let the assassins do their job to further bring down the population. You can bait the snails onto a piece of lettuce or something similar, and then remove it once it is full.
Honestly, I never remove snails because they really don't generally hurt anything.

Get a dwarf puffer :) Cool little fish and will get rid of your snails in no time. If you do decide to get them then you will need to provide an alternative source of food once the snails are gone, which is quick, maybe 1 or 2 days. I agree, no loaches for this tank.

Send me some mts!
I probably have a million MTS in my community. Lol

Heavily planted community tanks seems to be hard to avoid and over population of mts.. Some fishes die and we never notice them. Guess who feeds off dead fishes...

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I always thought Assassin Snail would kill the other snails. Anyone have 1st hand experience with this?

A fluval edge is too small for a loach. I don't advise getting one unless you have a tank to properly house one long term.
Generally, too many snails is a sign of overfeeding. I know that can be hard to avoid in some settings though, but if it is possible, cut back the food and you will also cut back the snails. I would just manually remove some and then let the assassins do their job to further bring down the population. You can bait the snails onto a piece of lettuce or something similar, and then remove it once it is full.
Honestly, I never remove snails because they really don't generally hurt anything.

I will try the lettuce trick. They just jam up the filter, and things like that.

Get a dwarf puffer :) Cool little fish and will get rid of your snails in no time. If you do decide to get them then you will need to provide an alternative source of food once the snails are gone, which is quick, maybe 1 or 2 days. I agree, no loaches for this tank.

I was actually waiting for my local fish place to get in a new shipment of Dwarf puffers :). How many would you recommend me putting in?

I really hate this tank... It is just so hard to care for... I would love to just move everything to a 15-20 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom