Should I stock up some on new 55 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meloyelo

Aquarium Advice Activist
This past weekend I started up a new 55 gal community tank. Water testing shows good and of course no Ammonia or Nitrites yet. Last night I added an existing cycled HOB filter from my other tank which is a 26 gal. That filter is a Marineland Bio Wheel 150. The new filter on the 55 is a Aqua Clear 70. As soon as possible I plan to add another AC 70. Anyway, I transferred the 3 peppered corys I had in the 26 to the 55 and also added 3 more. The corys are loving all that room and the sand substrate. :fish2:Question is should I stock up a little more to make sure I don't start loosing some of the good bacteria in the existing filter due to such a light bio load?

My tentative planned stocking so far is:

6 peppered corys
10 Black skirt tetras
10 zebra danios
1 dwarf Gourami (?)
1 rainbow shark (last)
Would also like 1 or 2 of some sort of larger fish that will work well in a community tank like this. Still researching this one. Don't want something that will pick on the little guys.

Any advice will really be appreciated. Thanks!

If I were you I would dose ammonia and keep testing, to make sure the biomedia can handle such a bioload.

meloyelo said:
With the 6 corys in there??????

Oh, if the cories are in there it should be fine. Just make sure the biomedia can handle it.

Oh, if the cories are in there it should be fine. Just make sure the biomedia can handle it.

I guess thats what had me wondering if I was way understocked with all that water and only 6 little fish. I assumed that what little ammonia they do produce may not be enough to keep the bacteria going in the cycled filter. Or at least some of it may die off due to not having enough to munch on. Didn't know if I needed to go ahead and add a few of something to make sure I was feeding the existing bacteria.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom