Should I take my plants out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennymph

Aquarium Advice Activist
Right now I'm nearing to the end of my fishless cycle and I've added plants to my tank. However, getting mixed information on the pros and cons of having plants during the cycle. Don't want them to die but also worried about where to keep them if I have to take them out? Ammonia is at 1ppm, 0 Nitrites and around 40-80ppm Nitrates. Thoughts? Thanks

I think if you have a bunch of real sensitive stems then need to be careful. If not, keep ammonia where it is and allow your pants to establish, win-win

I think those are both heavy root feeders so their impact on the water parameters may be minimal..
Many cycle with plants and no fish often. It is known as 'Silent cycling '...

Yeah it's just confusing me because I'm already well in to the fishless cycle etc and definitely am close to tank being cycled. I've put some root tabs in to ensure they're getting fed and they're in Fluval Stratum. I'll keep an eye on my parameters anyway, like I said it's 1ppm ammonia today which is the lowest it's ever been in 3 weeks and it was 2 yesterday. Watching a video now about planted tanks and cycling just to clarify my concerns :)

Have fun with it. If you see brown edges that is ammonia burn. I had a sword that lost all of its leaves due to ammonia burn. Once the water bounced back it was beautiful

jen...

The nitrogen level you have isn't going to hurt your plants. Plants prefer water with a lower pH.

B

Posted this on my other post but it's mainly concerning the plants!!

Ammonia is 0.25ppm today, was 0.5ppm yesterday, 0 nitrites and 40-80ppm. Heavily planted now so wondering if I need to dose ammonia back up to 1ppm when it hits 0 until I add the fish. As I don't want the bacteria to die but I also don't want my plants to die! Very, very close, don't want to make any drastic differences.
So, add enough for .5ppm when it hits 0 Ammonia instead and see if it drops in 24 hrs?
(Using fertilisers for my plants too to keep them healthy?Then I'll do my water changes to get Nitrates down and pH rebalanced and then grab some fish!)

Posted this on my other post but it's mainly concerning the plants!!

Ammonia is 0.25ppm today, was 0.5ppm yesterday, 0 nitrites and 40-80ppm. Heavily planted now so wondering if I need to dose ammonia back up to 1ppm when it hits 0 until I add the fish. As I don't want the bacteria to die but I also don't want my plants to die! Very, very close, don't want to make any drastic differences.
So, add enough for .5ppm when it hits 0 Ammonia instead and see if it drops in 24 hrs?
(Using fertilisers for my plants too to keep them healthy?Then I'll do my water changes to get Nitrates down and pH rebalanced and then grab some fish!)
I grow my plants in a cycled tank as we speak and I don't use fertilizers. I've even grown plants in a tank that wasnt cycled and in it's process of cycling. I had to keep the ammonia down around 1 ppm consistently as to not burn the plants. What I'm trying to say is your plants will be fine. ?

Back
Top Bottom