Should McDonald's be banned?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it worth looking at if the well being of our children is at stake?
Yes, as long as it is for safety, your own good, health, or because I know better I should be able to control your behavior? No, eh? Well then I guess I will just have to say you must do it for the children! Who could argue with that! (OK, got my morning dose of sarcasm done with) but seriously, JG, we can prove just about anything with the right data selection and mathematical manipulation. Don't you know that It has been "proven" many times that day-care is bad for children? Should we revoke the working rights of millions of parents "for the childrens sake?"

It always seems so simple, but when it comes to people and society it always ends up so complex.

TomK2

Again - reread by post - I'm not arguing the data manipulation point , in fact , I agreed with you and I will not argue the point regarding our obligations to the health and safety of children.

I've no issue with an well informed adult choosing to smoke, although I do find it odd to use the word choose.

It is my understanding that many beginning smokers have to "learn how to smoke " as the response of most people is to cough as the smoke enters the lungs. Such is the strength of nicotine that it would cause a person crave ( oops , I mean choose ) to inhale foreign particlates directly into the lungs creating a coughing spasm. My evening dose of sarcasim. :mrgreen:

It is my understanding that many beginning smokers have to "learn how to smoke "

I know of two things that are infinite, The Universe and human stupidity. And I am not too sure about the Universe.
------- Albert Einstein

Jchillin said:
I happen to be one of them. :(

Kevin...I think my post was misunderstood. I agreed with QTOFFER. I just pointed out that I was one of those unfortunates...did you notice the frown smiley? We shall always be at peace...even though we may disagree.

no cause im hungry with a VERY VERY fast motabolism and im trying to GAIN weight

TomK2 said:
It is my understanding that many beginning smokers have to "learn how to smoke "

I know of two things that are infinite, The Universe and human stupidity. And I am not too sure about the Universe.
------- Albert Einstein

Not sure if that was directed at me. If it was ...

Well up until now everyone has been quite civilized.

JG - not directed at you personally. :D I thought it whimsically explained why people do all sorts of things that might be harmful to them. No offense intended.

I just stumbled across this thread and have been reading through it. I'd just like to say I'm amazed and impressed at how civil this debate has been. Incivility was the main reason I left the forum I used to call home, with debates quickly escalating to personal attacks and immature members fanning the flames. I really don't have anything to add to the topic that hasn't already been stated quite well by QTOFFER and others, I just wanted to say thanks for providing a great place for civil discourse :)

Does'nt all food have the potential to kill and cause obesity if abused? I think at this point in society people as a whole try to blame someone or something else for our problems. It really comes down to personal responsibility and self control in most cases.

I do like my #1 with an orange drink though!! :D

I think at this point in society people as a whole try to blame someone or something else for our problems. It really comes down to personal responsibility and self control in most cases.

Thank you for seeing this :D When we fail to take that responsibility, we go after liability..

I'm not trying to stir things up at all or say anyone is right or wrong but I will say there is a difference between potential to kill and harmful. There are many things in foods these days that are harmful. That's different from saying something like water can kill you if you drink too much. These kinds of comparisons don't make for strong arguments to me.
This has little to do with mcdonalds and banning it, but the healthier a person eats all the time the healthier they will be. comparing tooooo much fruits and vegetables really isn't a fair comparison either. If I eat nothing but fruits and vegetables every day I could live a long healthy life. If I ate nothing but mcdonalds(it really isn't fair to single them out I know...) all day every day, my life would be short and miserable. Some foods out there are bad for you. Now I don't think all those fast food places should just be shut down but I do believe that someone out there(govt) should do a better job of monitoring what kind of things are being sold. That has nothing to do with what people "choose" to purchase. It's what's being marketed by someone else out there. If something is known to be harmful, why should it be allowed to be sold.
The average consumer doesn't usually thing more than "ooh, I want that". That's about as far as their thoughts go when it comes to a lot of things and the companies out there know this. Some people out there choose not to coose and still complain that maybe the government might take away their right to choose. Weird.
I think I'm about ready to quit these conversations alltogether as I can imagine right now while someone reads my thoughts they're sitting there shaking their head thinking "what's wrong with this guy?" oh well.

but I do believe that someone out there(govt) should do a better job of monitoring what kind of things are being sold.

Egads!!!!! Why? Why can't you as an individual monitor what you buy. There are certainly things the government needs to monitor sales of, arms to foreign countries, illegal drugs, hell even perscription drugs but not what is allowed to be served at a restaraunt, within reason. We have a health dept that tries to monitor the sanitation of things and make sure they aren't serving rotten food, but menu choices?????

If something is known to be harmful, why should it be allowed to be sold.

There is nothing I have ever eaten at McDonalds that I could not make for myself at home, does this mean that ground beef should be removed from the grocers, should potatoes not be sold anymore? You see no one sells anything in a restaraunt that someone didn't make at home first. It is not the gov'ts responsibility to make sure you eat healthy, it is yours.

millipede said:
there is a difference between potential to kill and harmful. There are many things in foods these days that are harmful. That's different from saying something like water can kill you if you drink too much....comparing tooooo much fruits and vegetables really isn't a fair comparison either.

I was just agreeing with captivereefs' statement that ALL foods eaten in excess have the potential to make us ill. I used some quite extreme examples, I know. I find it quite ironic that you can drown yourself from the inside out by drinking excessive amounts of water. And in terms of weight gain, a calorie is a calorie, whether it comes from soggy, greasy fries, or fresh carrots.

millipede said:
Now I don't think all those fast food places should just be shut down but I do believe that someone out there(govt) should do a better job of monitoring what kind of things are being sold.

If what you're calling for is clearer, more concise, and more user-friendly product labeling, I agree with you - but the final choice whether or not to eat something, still rests with the consumer.
What the government can and should do is 1) continue to require food manufacturers to disclose product ingredients and nutritional analyses, and 2) do a better job of educating consumers about what these ingredients are, what the nutritional analyses mean, and how to better use this information to make informed decisions about what we choose to eat.

What this debate comes down to is freedom of choice. I feel that every time the govt limits my choices we all lose part of our freedom. The dynamics of our govt is all about change. As the world changes the govts responsibility to "we the people" must act on our behalf. But, it must also balance the needs of the many with the freedom to be an individual in our geoculturally diverse society.

I can understand how millipede feels so strongly that smoking is wrong. The problem I have millipede, is that you've concluded that because it's wrong, it should not be allowed. Period.

Let me draw a parallel for you millipede. I see from your signature that you are a devout Christian. I have the utmost respect for anyone with such faith. I also assume that you are 100% convinced that your faith is correct. Does that make all other faiths wrong, and should they therefore be banned? Of course not. We all have the right to believe what each individual feels is correct for them.

As Americans we should be watchdogs for the changes our govt wants to impose in our own best interest. I have no problem with them telling me I can longer take my pocket knife on an airliner. I would have a huge problem if they told McDs to stop selling cheeseburgers.

I have no problem with them telling me I can longer take my pocket knife on an airliner. I would have a huge problem if they told McDs to stop selling cheeseburgers.

I agree.

12 pages and no one has mentioned either the local or chain pizza places. Their biggest seller is the cheese pizza. There's enough calories in there to sustain you for three days. Besides the fact that the amount of cholesterol in it will certiainly harden and/or choke our arteries. Hmm...there doesn't even seem to be a list of ingredients posted nor any health warnings about the consumption of cheese laden pizza anywhere.

Should the pizza palaces be banned also? I should say not! I know the health risks associated with pizza or any other foods/substances that are unhealthy. My family is also so informed. It comes down to choice...which seems to be the overwhelming opinion of this thread. Let's not dump our bad choices on the lap of government. I smoke...I know it's bad...it may have already done irreparable damage. I'm not going to blame the government, the manufacturer's or anyone else for my demise. I would feel like the biggest hypocrite imaginable.

BTW - One large with pepperoni to go! 8)

BTW - One large with pepperoni to go!

LOL, tonight I had churches fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn on the cob with lots of butter and a very big hot buttered biscuit for dinner, I believe I could actually hear my arteries hardening as I was smoking that after dinner cigarette and washing it all down with a bud light, damn it's great to be free ;)

RR got ya beat, I had a great big old porter house steak, mashed potato's, mac & cheese, and a big old roll smothered in butter. Chased it down with a pepsi :mrgreen: since I don't drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom