Show me your crawfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
new home

Well...got my cray into is new home last night. At least he has more room to get around with those giant claws. you were right jmay33...trying to grab him with my hand was no small feat. He almost came out of the tank a couple of times. Fast little guy..I finally decided to get him with the net when he flipped over on his back. He seems to be doing fine though..

Well...got my cray into is new home last night. At least he has more room to get around with those giant claws. you were right jmay33...trying to grab him with my hand was no small feat. He almost came out of the tank a couple of times. Fast little guy..I finally decided to get him with the net when he flipped over on his back. He seems to be doing fine though..

Yeah. Those suckers are quick! Especially when they get to swimming. Lol. I've had a couple of instances where I thought mine had gotten out while I was catching him. I would always use a neg before sticking my hands in there and going after him. :lol:

here's a picture of him checking out his new surroundings on top of his cave. He seems to be adjusting well to his new large(deformed) claws. At least with the larger space, he can get around much better.

Attachments

• cray 005.jpg
    cray 005.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 143
here's a picture of him checking out his new surroundings on top of his cave. He seems to be adjusting well to his new large(deformed) claws. At least with the larger space, he can get around much better.

That's great! Does he have any tank mates?

Just the bubbles you see in the background (lol) having tank mates is what got him in trouble before and is the reason he now lives in his own place. He decided that the fish in my 55 gallon looked yummy and caught a few. Is there anything that can live safely in a tank with a cray or are they living on borrowed time lol

Just the bubbles you see in the background (lol) having tank mates is what got him in trouble before and is the reason he now lives in his own place. He decided that the fish in my 55 gallon looked yummy and caught a few. Is there anything that can live safely in a tank with a cray or are they living on borrowed time lol

Soon the sand will empty out of the hourglass I'm afraid. Although it may take some time.

Lol. A crawfish will eat anything. I just put rosy reds in so I can have some fish swimming around and I'm not disappointed when he eats one.

Dwarf crays are known not to eat your pretty fishies!

When I had my electric blue he frequently caught my cherry barbs and neons. The larger fish were okay

I keep 3 Crayfish in my guppy breeding tank and they probably eat some of them, but I can't tell because they breed so quickly.

I added a dwarf crawfish to my community tank! He's been a fun and active addition. :)

img_2240543_0_f43afe7bb5f1cba5b14199db074d93e6.jpg

new tank

Ok...this is not a crayfish picture but I've posted several things here about my cray so I thought I would show what I did with his old tank. These are pictures of my shrimp tank I started with the 10 gallon tank I had. I went the easy way and used artificial plants instead of real. They don't seem to mind. These are ghost shrimp. I saved them from a horrible death at the lfs. I'm sure they would have been dinner for some happy fish somewhere. I am going to put in a few cherry red shrimp and see how that goes. I've read different things about them getting along together. I guess I'll find out.

Attachments

• shrimp 001.jpg
    shrimp 001.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 137
  • shrimp 002.jpg
    shrimp 002.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 130
  • shrimp 003.jpg
    shrimp 003.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 124
  • shrimp 004.jpg
    shrimp 004.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 133
I'm not a fan of artificial plants at all, but I actually like the looks of that tank.

Ok...this is not a crayfish picture but I've posted several things here about my cray so I thought I would show what I did with his old tank. These are pictures of my shrimp tank I started with the 10 gallon tank I had. I went the easy way and used artificial plants instead of real. They don't seem to mind. These are ghost shrimp. I saved them from a horrible death at the lfs. I'm sure they would have been dinner for some happy fish somewhere. I am going to put in a few cherry red shrimp and see how that goes. I've read different things about them getting along together. I guess I'll find out.

Your tank is awesome! Love it! Are you wanting a species only tank or are you thinking of adding other little things or a centerpiece fish?

When I get my 25 gallon from my grandpa on Christmas il for sure putting in one or 2 dwarf crayfish!!! But I don't know what species yet!! It will be a fully planted tank!

When I get my 25 gallon from my grandpa on Christmas il for sure putting in one or 2 dwarf crayfish!!! But I don't know what species yet!! It will be a fully planted tank!

They're really fun! They might nip your plants. So be careful. I don't think they will obliterate them or anything. I've had mine a few days and he's all over the place! I want a couple more. :)

EDIT: Mine hasn't nipped at anything. Thought I needed to add that. :)

Thanks for the kind words. Don't know if I'm going to add anything else. Might add a few neons for some color but I think maybe just keeping it a shrimp tank would be cool. I should have my cherry red shrimp in a day or two. I will let you know how they get along with my ghost shrimp. As for pee wee (my cray) he seems to be growing into his claws a little better (if that's possible). Maybe's he is just getting used to them. He just loves his new 20 gallon tank. He comes out of his cave when I get home from work. I guess he knows it's dinner time.

Just a note on cray with plants...mine were fine with my plants for a little while, but now if you plant something they up root it over night. They will eat certain plants and will constantly up root plants.

I don't want to turn this into a "show me your shrimp" thread but...got my cherry reds today. Here's a picture of one of them.. So far they don't seem to bother or be bothered by the ghost shrimp. I will do a head count in a couple of days to see if they are all still there.

Attachments

• shrimp 006.jpg
    shrimp 006.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 113
I don't want to turn this into a "show me your shrimp" thread but...got my cherry reds today. Here's a picture of one of them.. So far they don't seem to bother or be bothered by the ghost shrimp. I will do a head count in a couple of days to see if they are all still there.

Thats great! Have you been enjoying them?

Back
Top Bottom