Show(?) Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dee99gt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a molly today at the pet store and I've never ever seen one this big before.. I at first was scared that my angels would pick on her, but my angels don't bother her at all.. in fact at first they were scared to death of her, which i assume is because of her size.. Where could I find another molly like this?

561568_4600734142406_1790747047_n.jpg

Most black mollies if raised properly can reach six or more inches

wow that's crazy. Would a few more molly's be okay with my angels in my planted tank? Its a 55.. I have 4 angels and 2 small loaches that are suppose to be taking care of my snail problem..

dee99gt said:
wow that's crazy. Would a few more molly's be okay with my angels in my planted tank? Its a 55.. I have 4 angels and 2 small loaches that are suppose to be taking care of my snail problem..

What type of loaches? If clowns or a few other species, they need over a hundred gallons

Don't worry the yo-yo's will get the hang of snail eating. It took mine alittle time and once the biggest one learned the 4 others caught on from him. As for adding more molly's, I don't know how old or big your angels are but they will get big, and if you have a pair or two you might have problems already being the tank is a 55g. I would add no more than 2 more and I'm really not sure I'd do that because of the angelfish issue. If you were to move 2 angelfish when they mature into another tank then having 2 angels and 3 mollies wouldn't be a big deal. Just remember angelfish grow and so will the mollies. I used to have sailfin mollies years ago and those got to be some "big" mollies!
BTW, looks like you have a real nice planted tank from what I can see!

Don't worry the yo-yo's will get the hang of snail eating. It took mine alittle time and once the biggest one learned the 4 others caught on from him. As for adding more molly's, I don't know how old or big your angels are but they will get big, and if you have a pair or two you might have problems already being the tank is a 55g. I would add no more than 2 more and I'm really not sure I'd do that because of the angelfish issue. If you were to move 2 angelfish when they mature into another tank then having 2 angels and 3 mollies wouldn't be a big deal. Just remember angelfish grow and so will the mollies. I used to have sailfin mollies years ago and those got to be some "big" mollies!
BTW, looks like you have a real nice planted tank from what I can see!

Thanks! I actually turned into a planted tank after my reef tank crashed due to a electric outage. Lost so much money so decided I would give my angel's a bigger home than a 29 gallon they were living in. I don't like fake plants so had to go for a planted tank.
I have had two of my angel's for 2 years and the one in the left side of the picture is the biggest and longest one i've had. The rest i've had for about 6 months.
The yoyo's hide all the time and I never see them. I just hope they catch on soon, cause the snails are horrible and eating my plants.
As far as the molly she's doing great so far. She seems to me the queen of the tank. The angel's are def staying out of her way. I wouldn't mind just having 1 male lyretail mollies.

bettaowner said:
I caught a molly that was 4 inches long. Yours must be a monster.

It's huge. I've never seen one like her. I'm still amazed.

The yoyo's hide all the time and I never see them. I just hope they catch on soon, cause the snails are horrible and eating my plants.

You know in the mean time you could either make a DIY snail trap or you can take a leafy lettuce, run the leaf under hot water good to soften it up (snails will be more attracted to the soften lettuce than just sticking it straight in the tank), the attach it to a clip or lay on the tank bottom and put a little rock or something to hold it down. Do this at night right after the lights go out. Then just keep pulling the lettuce with snails attached out and get rid of them. Don't use the same lettuce more than 24 hours. Then some people squash the snails and leave them down in the bottom for the loaches to eat. Personally I can't do that, but it will give your loaches a taste of snail and hopefully motavate them to actually hunt them.

Back
Top Bottom