Show off your Betta(s)!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right now I have a Satellite Freshwater LED strip on my 75g and my 46g, I would probably need to add a second fixture on each to get enough light for live plants. I also have gravel in each so I may need to put a layer of fertilizer underneath or something. I'm definitely going to do it, I just have to save up for a bit before I do. For now I am thinking of just adding a moss ball in Bob's tank to suck up nitrates for now. I have two in my 10g and they seem to be doing the trick.

But yeah, back to Bob. He has a very cool, relaxed personality and he already will take food from my finger. I saw him moping at the bottom of a tiny cup at my LPS and had to take him home and give him some more space! He is very young right now so he's pretty small, 2.5g is plenty of room for him to swim around and patrol his area for now. I will probably upgrade him to a 5g once he gets bigger though.

My 2 beautiful little girls. They have been with me since May 2014.

Attachments

• 20150511_124505.jpg
    20150511_124505.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 20150511_124211.jpg
    20150511_124211.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 54
Wow they're beautiful I'm getting one soon just waiting for my heater to arrive

Thx Finntastic! Thx smilemadeofsun! Thx Samras!
Female bettas need to get more recognition for their beauty. So if anybody has pics of their girls please post. I would love to see them! :)

I haven't considered a female are they ok in a community aquarium? They are very beautiful

It actually makes me want to get another tank for a female betta. My better half would kill me though! I already have more tanks than any sane people would keep in a 2br apartment lmao

@Samras: I haven't tried adding my girls to my community tank because I have shrimps in there that they would eat. I think it really depends on your betta's temperment and the other tank inhabitants. Goodluck with your new betta! :)
@smilemadeofsun: Whats the plan for your new 125g? :)

Oh dear! Good to know I'm not the only one, I'd have a house full if my husband would allow me to!

I am using the 125 gallon to turn into a planted Rainbowfish tank. I have 5 different species right now that are split up into two tanks, and I am going to bring them together since their water parameter needs are similar enough. That will free up room to move stock around in my 4 other tanks and bring some new guys in. I am super excited! It's a process to break down a salt tank and re-home three large saltwater fish. It will be well worth it though!

My male betta, Midnight has colored up a lot more and now only his head is black. Here's a vid. This video doesn't come close to seeing his colors in person. Neither do pictures. YouTube

Hi guys. I still haven't got my Betta yet been deciding what tank to get.
I have a couple of questions if that's ok.
First would a 20 litre starter tank be ok? It comes with a filter lid and gravel if I get the tank I will chuck the gravel it's that cheap coloured stuff I will go with sand. I already have a heater for the fish. Should I get the 20 tank or go for something bigger? I have already ordered some silk plants for the tank.
How often do you clean their tank? I have a 90 tank I do weekly water changes and gravel vacuum. Would
I do weekly with the Betta too?
Last question female or male? I saw the most beautiful male at my pet shop with the most beautiful fins he was blue I don't think he'll be there by the time my tank is set up but.

When cycling the tank I got told to put a throw away fish in :-/ a
Fish you use to cycle the tank and they cycle the tank I don't believe in that and think it's cruel how long would it take to cycle. My 90 took a long time before it was safe to add my two fish.
Thanks everyone I won't to make sure I have everything sorted before
I get my fish :)
I currently have three beautiful goldfish who are very happy in their tank I have two comets and a wakin they get along so well :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi guys. I still haven't got my Betta yet been deciding what tank to get.
I have a couple of questions if that's ok.
First would a 20 litre starter tank be ok? It comes with a filter lid and gravel if I get the tank I will chuck the gravel it's that cheap coloured stuff I will go with sand. I already have a heater for the fish. Should I get the 20 tank or go for something bigger? I have already ordered some silk plants for the tank.
How often do you clean their tank? I have a 90 tank I do weekly water changes and gravel vacuum. Would
I do weekly with the Betta too?
Last question female or male? I saw the most beautiful male at my pet shop with the most beautiful fins he was blue I don't think he'll be there by the time my tank is set up but.

When cycling the tank I got told to put a throw away fish in :-/ a
Fish you use to cycle the tank and they cycle the tank I don't believe in that and think it's cruel how long would it take to cycle. My 90 took a long time before it was safe to add my two fish.
Thanks everyone I won't to make sure I have everything sorted before
I get my fish :)
I currently have three beautiful goldfish who are very happy in their tank I have two comets and a wakin they get along so well :)

20L/5G is fine for a betta.

Sand lovers unite! :)

I clean all of my tanks weekly. At least a weekly water change of 50%. In smaller tanks like this you do that in 10 mins tops even twice a week if you wanted to. More water changes never hurt.

Some people prefer female bettas. I like male. The choice is yours. As far as temperament goes, I have seen very mean male and females, you just normally have a more peaceful temperament with females.

You can Fishless cycle the tank. I'm sure by now you know we prefer liquid test kits here. Go grab a bottle of 10% grade ammonia or a table shrimp in a pantyhose. These will act as ammonia sources in place of fish. Unlike fish in, you do not need to do water changes in a Fishless until the cycle is complete because, there's nothing in the tank yet lol.

If you choose ammonia, there is dosing calculators a quick google search away on how much to dose to reach 3-4ppm.

Caleb

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435275356.037053.jpg

My little Sebastian. Not sure what happened to his fins yet. It occurred over 1 night while I was away. Assuming it was the neon tetras or the plastic plant that is now removed.

He is very beautiful. Neons aren't fun nippers. I kept 5 with 3 betta at separate times and I have two baby's with a betta now and everything has been fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom