Show off your shrimp tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413259792.451588.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413259805.978765.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413259829.812923.jpg

New shrimp tank!! 5 gallon fluval spec!! There are 5 red cherry shrimp in there... I put 5 in, but haven't seen more than three at a time recently, but don't see any dead shrimp anywhere.. I think they are all there just hiding

Sent from my iPhone

You can see how much things have grown between the two photos!! I need to keep my light on longer though.. :eek: and the lighting is bad in the second picture because I just took it and it's dark

Sent from my iPhone

OMG! Thank god I posted this!! I was going to turn off the light and thought I would look for the shrimp! I found one trapped in the filter area alive and fine!! I finally caught the one and couldn't find the other anywhere so I gave up... When I was putting the filter back in i saw a shrimp sitting on the edge of the filter out of water :O I really quickly got him back to the water! He was out for probably 10 min!! I think he will be ok, but I'm not sure... Any suggestions to keep them out of the filter? It's a fluval spec 5 gallon if that helps! They weren't babies but they are small and in sure babies will get stuck if they do!

Sent from my iPhone

Buy some aquarium foam, they sell it in blocks & cut a 'sleeve' to go over the intake. Works great. I ll send a pic later if that would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413317567.353316.jpg
So the middle is cut out, the foam sleeve is approx. 1/3 inch thick. I used very sharp embroidery scissors . Once most of the middle is cut out, you can turn it inside out to clean it up some.
Agree that the fancy one above is prob the way to go but I have foam on three tanks inlets & it works great. Plus, I clean them with each weekly water change & that keeps my filters cleaner. Best of luck.

My filter doesn't work like that... It's the one that comes with be fluval spec 5 gallon...

Sent from my iPhone

From what I can tell, it is a grid or series of slots just below the waterline.

Ok here's a few pics
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413328786.415422.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413328894.419622.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413328931.453143.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413328996.152551.jpg Ok the second picture is where I think the water comes in to the filter, but I'm prob wrong.. Not sure how they got back there. In the last pic you can see how it's light below the black. The black is the filter part. The light part is where the filter doesn't cover.. The filter stops before it touches the bottom and that's where I found one of the shrimp.. That part conects the heater and pump part and the shrimp were moving between the two parts! I don't see any more missing right now... But can't tell for sure. The two I got out yesterday seem fine now except this one has the weird yellow...? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413329226.735472.jpg kinda hard to see but he is yellow toward the back and wasn't before

Sent from my iPhone

Well, could you put a peice of foam, like a big peice , across the front of it. So it would totally block access to the unit?

I would stuff floss into the lower intake. For the upper intake perhaps you can place window screen or a similar size mesh over the opening. If you fast forward to 1:17 of the following video, you will see mesh or screen covering the intake:

Awesome tank!! I have this stuffImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413333893.226522.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413333927.592758.jpg I used it before to block off my filter in my old tank... The shrimp would go in the filter and hide, and they could get out again. But I never saw them because they were always in there. I will try to cover up part of the intake and make sure the filter still runs smoothly! I just threw in a piece of an algae wafer to get them all, so I can make sure there are still 5! I will post a picture of the little group once they all go to it, right now only one is there..

Sent from my iPhone

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413334577.084134.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413334598.503962.jpg covered this up and help it on with paper clips ;) redneck!! lol the other opening is way to small for the shrimp to fit through so I think they got through this somehow or managed to climb over..

Sent from my iPhone

How do I add a video?

Sent from my iPhone

GLVSUZ8.png

Btw that's not my video, just something I found on Google while searching "Fluval spec V shrimp safe"

Back
Top Bottom