Shrimp advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NicknClair

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking at putting cherry shrimp into my Juwal 190 tank. Currently have 6 gold barbs, 12 peppered Cory's, 6 white tip tetra, 6 Rosy Tetra and "Big Red", which is an Albino Plec.
I understand however that the shrimp may be at risk of being eaten by the Plec, or am I worrying over nothing?
I do love the idea of the shrimp, as I've been told they are excellent cleaners, but worried that I'm just adding live food for the Plec :-(

Looking at putting cherry shrimp into my Juwal 190 tank. Currently have 6 gold barbs, 12 peppered Cory's, 6 white tip tetra, 6 Rosy Tetra and "Big Red", which is an Albino Plec.
I understand however that the shrimp may be at risk of being eaten by the Plec, or am I worrying over nothing?
I do love the idea of the shrimp, as I've been told they are excellent cleaners, but worried that I'm just adding live food for the Plec :-(

Gold barbs are the ones I'm worrying about. With enough plants and hiding spots some MAY survive

I fear you will not have shrimp long. All those fish will eat any baby shrimp, if there are any. And the barbs especially will hunt even the adults. Some fish get on ok with shrimp, surface feeders often don't look where baby shrimp are much, so most of them live, and some fish are not as interested in live food, but barbs are aggressive hunters. The plec might eat shrimp too, he'd eat any babies he came across as well, but the barbs would be the biggest issue I'd think.
Maybe some nice coloured mystery snails, or Nerites ? Both are excellent clean up crew, don't eat plants.

Thanks so much for that as I was just about to buy 20 of them!
As for the snails, don't you have to control them from overbreeding?

Not necessarily. Mystery snails lay eggs above water, so controlling them is simple. Just toss the egg case or clutch. Nerites lay eggs, but they require salt water to hatch, so they can't reproduce in your tank either. Some don't care for the look of the eggs on wood or rocks, but you can scrub them off, or wait 'til they slowly dissolve, which they will in time. Of course, the snails lay more. All about what you prefer really. I don't care about how the nerite eggs look, so it doesn't bother me.

Thanks for that, looks like I might go down that root. Shame as I was hoping for a bit more activity in the tank, never mind.

Back
Top Bottom