Shrimp and cherry barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was thinking about adding a few shrimp to my 16g. Largest fish in there is a trio of cherry barbs. I know fry would disappear but would adult shrimp be safe?

I was thinking about adding a few shrimp to my 16g. Largest fish in there is a trio of cherry barbs. I know fry would disappear but would adult shrimp be safe?

The only barbs I've owned where a pair of 7" Barbus schwanefeldi, so my experience with barbs is limited, but I've heard that barbs are known for being nippy and I'm guessing they, like most fish, will eat anything they can fit in their mouths. I did not observe that kind of behavior with mine, then again that might have been because they were preoccupied with trying to get away from my 1' Oscar...:whistle:

However, do to the max size of cherry barbs, they might be compatible and non-threatening toward the shrimp. My main concern would be that the barbs have been in tank first and may be territorial towards the shrimp because of this, but if you have ample cover, they should be ok.

Maybe you could do a trial run of sorts and if the barbs appear to be aggressive toward the shrimp, you can move them to another tank.

Just an idea.

The only barbs I've owned where a pair of 7" Barbus schwanefeldi, so my experience with barbs is limited, but I've heard that barbs are known for being nippy and I'm guessing they, like most fish, will eat anything they can fit in their mouths. I did not observe that kind of behavior with mine, then again that might have been because they were preoccupied with trying to get away from my 1' Oscar...:whistle:

However, do to the max size of cherry barbs, they might be compatible and non-threatening toward the shrimp. My main concern would be that the barbs have been in tank first and may be territorial towards the shrimp because of this, but if you have ample cover, they should be ok.

Maybe you could do a trial run of sorts and if the barbs appear to be aggressive toward the shrimp, you can move them to another tank.

Just an idea.

1' oscar? That must have been entertaining!

Cherries are definitely peaceful so I may give it a try when I can actually watch the tank for a while.

1' oscar? That must have been entertaining!

Cherries are definitely peaceful so I may give it a try when I can actually watch the tank for a while.

Cherries are nice looking fish. What kind of shrimp are you thinking of adding to the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice ??

Cherries are nice looking fish. What kind of shrimp are you thinking of adding to the tank?

Well, I was hoping some sort of neo but those plans have changed. I put in a large RCS, pretty much turned around, and it was gone! No idea which fish was the guilty party. Guess I'll have to consider a larger shrimp....

Well, I was hoping some sort of neo but those plans have changed. I put in a large RCS, pretty much turned around, and it was gone! No idea which fish was the guilty party. Guess I'll have to consider a larger shrimp....

Uh oh...maybe it's hiding?

Well, you were right! I was trimming some plants in the tank last night and found it, still there this morning.

I was being hopeful, but great news! Thinking about adding more or do you still want to see how this guy does before adding more?

My RCS are a bit out of control-I don't think the badis are eating as many shrimplets as I expected-so I'll probably add a few more.

Back
Top Bottom